Will iPhone 4 be able to video chat with a webcam on a desktop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spiketips, Jun 7, 2010.

1. spiketips macrumors newbie

Will iPhone 4 be able to video chat with a webcam on an iMac?

2. spiketips thread starter macrumors newbie

I am confused because FaceTime is only iPhone 4 to iPhone 4. Will Skype work with Droids?

3. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

If Apple is serious about making this a open standard, then im sure there will be api's that allow you to integrate it with chat from a non iPhone source.

4. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Yeah, Facetime looks to be direct iPhone 4 to iPhone 4. The apis were seen in the beta of OS4, so I'm sure it won't be long before the developers will be adding video chat to their apps.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Not initially. Right now its iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 only. But it is open source so I'm sure apps to connect to computers and other front camera phones will be popping in the next few months.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That was my impression as well. I can't imagine Apple not creating some FaceTime desktop app very soon since every Apple-made display has a built-in camera.

7. yelnref macrumors member

let's hope so.

but it's a shame apple didn't take this step with the default software option. once (if?) other developers start bringing out options, i feel the official face time option will die (unless apple works on it).

8. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

No, only iPhone 4 to iPhone 4. But I can video chat right NOW on my Sprint EVO over the cell network to a mac...

9. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

lol