Will iPhone 4 have real optical zoom or useless "digital" zoom?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bollweevil, Jun 7, 2010.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

It was just announced that the iPhone 4 will have zoom for the camera, but will this be real optical zoom, or will it simply be "digital" zoom? Digital zoom is so stupid - I can duplicate the effect of digital zoom by cropping the photo with photoshop afterward. Not only is digital zoom in effect the same a cropping a photo, but because the photo was cropped from the get-go, you have LOST information that you might have wanted. What if you "zoomed in" and took the picture, but mistakenly chopped off the top of your subject's head? That portion of the head was actually being perceived by the camera's sensor, so you could have had a complete photo, but it is now lost forever thanks to digital zoom.

2. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

It was stated that the iPhone has a digital zoom. For it to have optical zoom, the lens would need to move out of the frame, and Apple wouldn't allow that.

A simple solution is to not use the digital zoom.

3. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

[​IMG]

Optical zoom is very hard to implement on mobile devices like phones due to space limitations.

4. itsjared macrumors regular

itsjared

Digital zoom sucks. Never digital zoom because it's the same thing as cropping with Photoshop.

5. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I guess he said in the keynote. I could not sit through that thing, sorry. I tried Google and MRoogle to no avail.

Although it is hard to implement optical zoom on a mobile device, they managed to actually implement optical focusing, which really blew my mind. On my 3GS, you can actually see the little lens moving inside the phone to focus. Moving pieces, what a trip!

6. Merkie macrumors 68020

Optical focusing has been available in hundreds of cell phones for at least 5 years.