Carrier Will iphone 5S from at&t work with Sprint ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ramram55, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Thinking of buying an used Iphone 5S (AT&T), since I am using Sprint as my carrier can I do that ?

2. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

I agree with @Closingracer, I'm pretty sure the only fairly universal iPhone is the Verizon version. It's factory unlocked and works with the most networks.

3. Closingracer macrumors 68000

The iPhone 6 and 6 plus along with the s version of sprints will work on all 4 carriers in the United States. The AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile version will work on those three carriers. This is assuming the phone is unlocked. As far as the 5s version no I believe is the answer.

4. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

An iPhone 5S that was made for AT&T if unlocked would work on AT&T and T-Mobile in the US.

However, an AT&T iPhone 6/6S would work on Sprint. (if unlocked of course)

Since Verizon and Sprint use CDMA as their fallback 3G networks, they'd have to have the device entered in their system. I don't believe both of them did this until the 6.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2016 ---
    This is correct a Verizon iPhone 5S would work on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't think it will work with sprint.
    But waiting for my bud Eric to chime in since he's an expert with sprint services and device unlock and acceptance policies.
    He put up with sprint for many years:D

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL! No expert, just got tired at one point of all the "Can I unlock my Sprint iPhone threads" so I learned all I could! :D

I would think @Closingracer has probably got the best info, but based on my limited research earlier today the AT&T 5s probably has Band 25 and 26 for LTE.

Falling back to 3G though, should it come to that, I don't believe will work as Sprint is CDMA and AT&T is GSM.

In any case, the customer (OP) would need to have Sprint make a clickit ticket to add the IMEI to Sprint's whitelist - assuming it would work on the network.

So…there's my unexpert thoughts on that.

Usually the question is asked the other way around. ;)

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True that.
    And also the question I'm not sure about is if Sprint will allow the AT&T GSM only device to be activated on their network.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't think they care. Or at least, the right rep/tech won't. OP just needs someone who knows how to add the IMEI to the whitelist. Whether it works on the network or not when it's been authorized isn't really their concern as it's not a Sprint phone.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good info.
    So if it's white listed on sprint then he'd be able to use it but only on lte coverage areas.
    CDMA 3G will not function at all thus leaving him with no call, text or data service on the phone if he's on 3G service area.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Exactly what I'm thinking.

But I caveat this by stating I'm no expert and I've never done this myself so I could be entirely wrong.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    It would be an interesting situation with sprints limited lte coverage.

12. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I only Know that an unlocked iPhone 6 and 6 plus along with the S versions the sprint model will work on all four carriers. The Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile version won't work with sprint but on those since it's the same model number. Needs to be unlocked of course

5s Idk

13. GoldenDust Suspended

GoldenDust

Yes, iPhones 5S or above will work on Sprint's network. AT&T or Verizon. They have the correct antennas for Sprint's network. The iPhones must be unlocked.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…my understanding is that LTE is a GSM technology and the AT&T/Sprint 5s share LTE bands 25 and 26. So technically it should work - you just wouldn't get 3G or 1xRtt.

Now that I am thinking about it though you may not even get voice as Sprint does not have VoLTE and uses 3G/1xRtt for voice.

15. Closingracer macrumors 68000

An AT&T version won't. If Apple went with the two model number model with the iPhone 5s it an AT&T iPhone wouldn't work with sprint. The unlocked model Apple sold was the same mode sprint sold which would work on AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and sprint. The other model was sold by Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile which would work on only those carriers in the states.

16. Closingracer macrumors 68000

You might get one or two bands that might work but overall the phone won't work with sprint. You'll get no voice and very spotty service.

17. GoldenDust Suspended

GoldenDust

You're wrong, Closingracer. I happen to work for Sprint and I am telling you that those devices will work with Sprint's network. There is no guarantee that it will work flawlessly compared to a Sprint iPhone. It may or it may not act weird/wonky on the Sprint network; however, it will work on the sprint network. We can take unlocked iPhone 5S, 6 or 6S on our network from Verizon OR AT&T and we have done that before in my particular store as well. We implore our customers to not do that, we implore them to purchase our iPhone 5S, 6 or 6S because ours will not be weird or wonky on our network compared to an AT&T iPhone 5S cellular phone.

Like I stated before for anyone considering switching from AT&T or Verizon with their iPhone 5S, 6 or 6S that is unlocked, it will work but it may or may not be weird or wonky and so I implore you and as well as many other Sprint employees would, to get a new Sprint phone to ensure that it will operate as it is supposed to.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2016 ---
    Correct.

18. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Lol I'm not wrong just go look at what bands the AT&T iPhone supports and it doesn't support CDMA or aka 3G which is what being used for phone calls on sprint. Cool you work for sprint? You're still wrong

19. GoldenDust Suspended

GoldenDust

You are wrong simply because you do not have experience with working with these phones. We can get into semantics if you'd like. I work for Sprint and I have done this for customers with unlocked AT&T iPhones. Enlighten me about my job.

"Lol" all you want, you do not work for Sprint.

This is why I said it may act weird or wonky.

20. Closingracer macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The iPhone 5s doesn't not support CDMA with every model

21. Closingracer macrumors 68000

You work for sprint cool? I can find quite a few people who work at sprint and have no clue what they are doing. The AT&T iPhone 5s model doesn't have CDMA so you can't call anybody at ALL.

22. GoldenDust Suspended

GoldenDust

You can be a condescending ******* all you want. I speak from experience. :)

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It will work but it may or may not be weird or wonky?

What does that mean? I hope I never come to your store for service:D
    Typical Sprint Rep that guesses and makes things up as he goes.
    It either works or it doesn't, and if it partially works or cannot connect to cdma then that equals its not compatible.
    Plus you guys dont do Volte so how could a 5S gsm only iphone function on the network that you work for?

24. GoldenDust Suspended

GoldenDust

As for the Sprint employees who do not know what they are doing? I don't know what to tell you about that.
    This is WHY I said there is no guarantee which is why we turn away most of those who wants to use it on our network because it "partially works".