Will iPhone 6 aluminum scratch easier than the 4/4S glass?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Traverse, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Sorry to start another thread today, but had a thought.

Will the iPhone 6 aluminum body scratch/chip easier than the 4/4S glass chassis?

My gut says yes, but I have no idea.

2. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

4. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

The glass back on the 4 series phones was top notch for resisting scratches. The aluminum back of the 6 will not do as well simply because aluminum is a soft metal. However, it will fare much better in drop situations, where it will dent rather than shatter. All that being said, I used both my 5 and my 5S naked for a year and did not pick up any scratches on the brushed part of the aluminum back. The chamfered edges were another matter, but that's not an issue on the 6 since the chamfers are gone (likely because they were scratch magnets). Since the 6 uses the same brushed texture for the aluminum as the 5, I think you will find it will hold up pretty well as long as you don't do anything crazy like put it in a pocket with keys.

5. Zenton macrumors member

This. I also used my 5 for a year without a case and the chamfered edges were most worn and only one scratch in the aluminium back. Thats why I was actually happy to see the chamfered edges go, even though they were beautiful to look at.

The aluminium in the 5/5s/6/6+ (and any smartphone for that matter...) is anodized so it is a lot harder. I'm expecting the iPhone 6 to hold up against scratches pretty well.