Will iphone 6+ be slower?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by borgqueenx, Sep 13, 2014.

1. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Or will the 6+ have faster clock speed?
    What do you guys think?
    Because so many more pixels must result in more power needed...

2. lancastor macrumors 6502a

iPhone 6 Plus is a LITTLE bit slower, cause of rendering (downscale) mechanism. But I think you can only meassure this speed difference. No one will notice this speed difference under daily conditions.

3. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

Im not too sure....curious about gaming....the FPS might be a pretty big difference.

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I have no idea, but I'm going to guess they either overclocked the Plus GPU or are using a beefier GPU design with more cores or texture units to compensate. The much larger size of the battery in the Plus should give them some juice to allow for that and still support the larger screen and boost the overall battery life a bit.

So, I think if they use identical components at the same clock speeds, the Plus will be a bit slower. But I expect them to be about the same because they've compensated for it. Won't be surprised if the Plus runs a bit hotter as a result though.

5. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

no because the design is also bigger, so heat will probaly be around desame.

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Well, I thought about that, but then it's stuffed with battery so I'm not sure there's a lot of space in there for increasing thermal dissipation. Could be, if they can shunt the heat to the case efficiently.

7. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

I think so, thats how it went with all other iphone's ^^

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think the 6+ will be clocked higher and have more RAM. 6+ envy will hit the roof.

9. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

well thats also true. if it also has desame amount of ram, then things will get bad.... 2 safari tabs? lets close the first one...
    Multitasking? Yeah maybe ibooks, music and notes...

10. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

They've done it.

I think Apple has proven that they are able to use the same set of chipset for all their iOS devices. That's the A7.

With iPad driving more pixels on A7 and still be smooth, I am confident A8 on a 6plus can handle 1080p just fine.

11. anthonybkny macrumors 6502

anthonybkny

12. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

After speaking with several execs at Apple, the 6+ will be much faster than the 6 to support split-screen apps, games, only available on the 6+

13. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

14. THE BG 86 macrumors regular

Keep dreaming. 1gb ram.

15. pmau macrumors 65816

They all use the same SoC, economy of scale.
    There's no difference, except that ****** downscaling of the 6+.
    Google it.

16. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I'd imagine it'll be like the iPad mini vs iPad Air - the plus will probably have a slightly higher clock speed to compensate.

17. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1771469

Here you go.

18. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

I have an iPad mini retina and I don't get jerkiness problems you are saying.

Point is, its A8 already and with 25% faster cpu and 50% faster GPU, I don't think anyone can expect worse performace vis-a-vis an iPad Air/Retina.

19. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

You not noticing it, doesn't mean it's not there. You cannot, in any way (without jailbreaking), change the core of iOS and screw something up (like you can on Windows for ex.). That means that every iPad Air and retina mini in the world has these issues (jerky animations). This is not about some app crashing or draining your battery (which can vary from user to user), this is basic iOS animations etc. which is the same on every (non jailbroken) iPad Air/mini retina.

20. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

If he's not noticing it, then it's not there...for him. Very few people will realize that there's a "problem" and be perfectly content.

21. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Obviously not everyone will notice it, and it's not a huge deal, but it's there and I (and plenty of others) did notice it. ;)

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I agree with you completely... today.

The potential concern I have is like what happened with the iPad (third gen?). I am referring to the first with lightning port. Apple did a quiet upgrade to that because the internals weren't up to snuff. While I don't think this specific phone necessarily is in the same boat, we may see more severe performance increases sooner than we normally do with subsequent iOS updates.

Just a thought. Not something for certain at all. In fact this thread is what got me thinking about that int he first place.

Anywa, I will have the phone a year so... I'm good lol.