Other Will iPhone be last to adapt 5G?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68000
Dec 3, 2017
I read something the other day talking about how Samsung plans to roll out 5G next year with their galaxy s10 and the snapdragon 855(I think). The story mentioned now that Apple will be abandoning Qualcomm in favor of intel, it could be a year or 2 longer before iPhones are able to run a 5g network, I assume due to intel. Any truth to this? It might be dumb, but 5g support is what I’m waiting for. I also noticed my galaxy phones tended to get better signal than my 8 plus or x, so hopefully that can also improve. 6.5” screen is cool, but doesn’t make it a must buy for me.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I read something the other day talking about how Samsung plans to roll out 5G next year with their galaxy s10 and the snapdragon 855(I think). The story mentioned now that Apple will be abandoning Qualcomm in favor of intel, it could be a year or 2 longer before iPhones are able to run a 5g network, I assume due to intel. Any truth to this? It might be dumb, but 5g support is what I’m waiting for. I also noticed my galaxy phones tended to get better signal than my 8 plus or x, so hopefully that can also improve. 6.5” screen is cool, but doesn’t make it a must buy for me.
I hope not. I also hope that 5G is as crazy good as they say. Better than wifi would be great. No longer have to sign on to some new network at every new hotel or mall or where ever you go.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
iPhone wasn't the first to adopt LTE, 802.11ac, OLED, dual-SIM, etc. but Apple eventually included those technologies without lagging behind.

Given the 2018 iPhone models will be purely Intel, I think Apple is confident in Intel's baseband progress, even if Intel is about a year behind Qualcomm.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68000
Dec 3, 2017
Apple will put 5G in their phones when there is an actual 5G network in existence. Why should they put the tech in their phones when there has been no rollout in the country? They'll do it when there is a network to take advantage of it.
Because it “future proofs” their phone. Why should someone who doesn’t upgrade yearly (but wants 5g) Buy an iPhone this fall if they know 5g will roll out next year? Not sure how the technology works, but if it’s possible to make a 5g capable phone before 5g is actually out, I see that as a good thing.

Reactions: KishanKissoon

dominiongamma

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2014
Tempe, Arizona
Because it “future proofs” their phone. Why should someone who doesn’t upgrade yearly (but wants 5g) Buy an iPhone this fall if they know 5g will roll out next year? Not sure how the technology works, but if it’s possible to make a 5g capable phone before 5g is actually out, I see that as a good thing.
Apple will not rush 5G to the market because when 4G came to the market android did that there was massive battery drain, Apple will perfect their tests with 5G before it comes to the market. They want good signal and battery life.

Reactions: RootBeerMan

now i see it

macrumors 68040
Jan 2, 2002
I wouldn't base a buying decision this year on a 5G future roll out. Take it out of the equation. We could be waiting three years until 5G is widespread.

seinman

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
5G is nowhere near ready for mainstream implementation. There are a dozen competing “standards,” and every provider is testing one or more of them. I don’t think anyone is sure where 5G tests will lead at this point. It’s gonna be at least 5 years before the tech settles down, a solid standard emerges, and a true network buildout begins. It’ll be another 3-5 years after that before it’s as ubiquitous as LTE is today. Be patient.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
If you want bleeding edge tomorrows technology today, why are buying Apple products?

Apple isn't known for being the first in adopting new technology. They are known for putting their particular spin or vision on existing technology.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
How pervasive do you think 5G will be next year?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68000
Dec 3, 2017
If you want bleeding edge tomorrows technology today, why are buying Apple products?

Apple isn't known for being the first in adopting new technology. They are known for putting their particular spin or vision on existing technology.
I own an 8 plus so I don’t care about top of the line. Something like 5G would be nice to have, though.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
Won’t be. Not until the carriers get their infrastructure up which includes micro towers in peoples homes. Give it a couple of years Fall of 2020 at the earliest.
That's exactly my point. No need to stress over whether or not this year's iPhones support it. It's probably going to be at least a couple more years before it's widespread enough to matter.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
I own an 8 plus so I don’t care about top of the line.
Yet here we are in a thread about 5G and 2019.

Something like 5G would be nice to have, though.
Why?

If LTE is too slow I fail to see how this is a handset technology issue instead of a carrier issue and I question what it is you are doing with your device that requires 5G speeds so soon.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68000
Dec 3, 2017
Yet here we are in a thread about 5G and 2019.

Why?

If LTE is too slow I fail to see how this is a handset technology issue instead of a carrier issue and I question what it is you are doing with your device that requires 5G speeds so soon.
I don’t need it but I guess I am looking for reasons not to upgrade to the x plus, which I also don’t need. I’m a weak person.

johannnn

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
The 2018 iPhone will be rusty before 5G rolls out in US (or most countries outside of South Korea). Be patient, there’s literally no reason for a phone to have 5G now except for a flashy spec list.

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
Is 5G rolling out worldwide next year? Nope. So those people buying this year’s iPhone without 5G would be fine then.

It’s easy to say 5G support. Remember 4G? Most early Android ohones with LTE are pretty much carrier specific only. Even today, most Android phones with LTE only have bands tailored for specific region only. Apple is arguably the only phone maker that tries to cram in as many supported bands as possible on their devices to cover the most regions.

So 5G rolling out tomorrow won’t bother my purchase decision today. By the time 5G is as ubiquitous as 4G or 3G, I would be buying a new phone anyway.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Why should Apple include 5G on their iPhones now when they can use it as a new feature so people upgrade to the newer phone?

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
Countries with fast path 5G adoption include China and South Korea. So Huawei and Samsung are releasing 5G phones next year.

American networks are always a couple years behind, so 5G adoption isn’t a priority.

The only two companies with 5G modems are Qualcomm and Huawei. Apple broke ties with Qualcomm on new iPhones. Huawei doesn’t sell their strategic technologies to Apple. So Apple has to wait for Intel to catch up.

Until Apple starts making their own baseband, they’ll always be a step or two behind.