Will iPhone be sold by VZ in the future?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidlw, Dec 11, 2008.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, SEARCH.

It's CDMA. Come on, man! No. Never. It can't work.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Like Skil said, VZ uses a different technology for their network than AT&T does.

Apple *could* make a special version of the iPhone that would work with VZ, but most people doubt that they would spend the time engineering it.

VZ and AT&T have both chosen the same technology for their next network upgrade, so there's a chance that a few years down the road, Apple wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel to get the iPhone to work on both networks.

4. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand about the different system. There are numerous phones that are on both systems, ie Moto Q, BB Curve, etc. Apple could make a VZ version if they desired.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, I'm glad you know. Good. Saves a lot of trouble!

But they don't desire. Know why? They went to Verizon first, Verizon turned them down. They'll never do it.

6. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I do know, I own a Bold, iPhone 3G 16gig, and Storm. It would be a hot seller I think to have the iPhone on VZ thats all.

7. jmcgarrell macrumors member

Verizon had their chance to have the iphone as a exclusive, and they blew the deal.

So I doubt the phone would be going to them anytime soon.

8. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think that there was a dispute over a non removable battery and other design issues. Not having a removable battery is a bad idea for business people. VZ did not blow it, just cater to business people.

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

In addition to the fac that Apple and Verizon never came to a deal, the actual lost sales from not having a VZW phone may not be worth the effort to create one (at this point). Apple can focus entirely on one phone across all carriers if they use GSM, and for now they're working on getting the phone to as many nations as possible...so the extra 2% boost or whatever they'd get from WORLDWIDE iPhone sales by going CDMA might not be worth it.

Especially since they can strike deals with GSM networks in all the other countries, so it's not like they're totally locking themselves out of an area by refusing to go CDMA.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Already been over this in another thread. The boost could easily be more like 20-30% of worldwide sales, if they brought out a CDMA version.

(Of course, they already did so in one respect: GSM's 3G is W-CDMA.)

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Six and a half billion potential GSM users and around 300 million CDMA.

Sure.