Will iPhone bring back the "whole package"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean7512, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Remember when iPods came with a dock AND a wall charger? Do you think its possible for the iPhone to bring this whole package together? Obviously it will come with the phone, USB wire, and a dock connector (to use in the universal docks). But, come on....shouldn't Apple at least include a wall charger?? I can see them not including the dock, but i mean it is a cell phone and it should have a wall charger, right?!?!?! People are gonna be pissed if they have to shell out $30 + tax additional JUST to charge the damn thing for when they go on vacations and such. A lot of people don't have a laptop laying around to use the USB cable while they are away. For this reason, I think that we MAY see the return of Apple bundling more than just the phone.

Although, the ATV does not come with any cables to connect it to a TV.....hmmm, I don't know. I just hope they include something extra.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i certainly agree about the wall charger. dock is understandable. but we'll have to wait and see. apple don't seem to like to include things that will go to 'waste' which is likely why they don't want to include cables with the :apple: TV since some people wouldn't use it for various reasons.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I would be absolutely shocked if the iPhone doesn't come with a wall charger.

4. neven macrumors 6502a

It'll come with a dock, and possibly a dock adapter, as you said. I don't think it will come with a separate USB cable.

All signs point to iPhone supporting all iPod accessories it will physically fit. You can buy iPod (and now, iPhone) chargers for $10. Most iPhone customers will probably already have one (or two, or three), including a car charger as well.

I understand that some people may not have an iPod charger and that they'd like to get one with iPhone, but I would personally find it an unnecessary accessory that would just litter my cable/adapter box.

Printers don't come with USB cables, and I for one am glad. I've gone through about eight printers with the same cable, and for whatever reason, I still have five or six of those cables. Camcorders don't come with FireWire cables. My phone didn't come with a (wired) headset, which for me is more of a necessity than a wall charger (it'll charge via USB too). It's nothing new.

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i think they dropped the wall charger from the iPods because it added to the packaging, bringing the cost up. Not many people use it anyway.

With the phone, i reckon there will be an expectation that it comes with some form of charger. All phones on the market come with a charger, so Apple will have to do it.

6. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I heart my original FW wall charger. Charges me 'Pod video every day =)

7. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

The wall-charger was a nice addition with my 4G but it would be a necessity with an iPhone.

8. neven macrumors 6502a

You realize the charger could get dropped for no other reason than Steve's insistence that iPhone come in a box 1.5" thick? :)

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

1.5" thin you mean :D . It's a conundrum you must see. iPods don't come with the wall adapters, and unless your Apple product has no other way to charge it doesn't have a wall adapter, but all cell phones come with chargers, but the cell phone being talked of here is Apple, so we really don't know... one could go crazy just thinking about it.

10. rockosmodurnlif macrumors 65816

rockosmodurnlif

...or not.

11. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

It would be pretty nice if it was like the 3G 30 GB iPod where it came with a wall charger and a black case...or at least mine did

12. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I would think that a dock AND a wall charger might both be included. The wall charger because... well, all phones come with one (but then again, the iPhone seems to be about breaking traditions) and the dock I can see being included just for the whole "image" of showing off the iPhone (or presenting it to others that would see it on your desk)... then again, I would not be too surprised if it came with nothing but a USB cable.

13. island macrumors 6502

island

I don't see why it wouldn't come with it since all cell phones do...

14. sprescott1974 macrumors member

i'm also curious about the headphones. all cell phones in the us are required by law to come with a wired handsfree headset. it may be a law in some states, i'm not sure, i think, i could be wrong, but i do know that every cellphone you buy does come with one. so will apple just include the stereo one shown during teh keynote since the iPhone is being sold as a widescreen video iPod? or will it come with a mono one. very curious.

15. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

hopefully some kind of awesome tiny bluetooth head phones

16. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I would be rather surprised if it didn't come with a wall charger. When you buy an iPod, chances are you own a computer. When you buy an iPhone, you might not own a computer. As silly as it sounds.

17. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i think so too - a wall charger is essential with a cell phone. i don't think it's reasonable to expect any cell phone user to only use their computer's usb port to sync/charge their phone. and what would happen if you're traveling without your laptop? i can't think apple would leave people with no other way to charge their iphone without a computer.

regarding a dock, i think i'm going to be pretty irritated if one is not included with a phone that costs $499/$599...

18. Gonzlobo macrumors 6502

Ah, there you go. When I order my phone, I'll tell Cingular, "I don't own a computer, how am I going to charge my phone?'. Why sir, we'll send you one.