Will iPhone Classic Car Charger work with iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by lunch, Jun 20, 2010.

1. lunch macrumors member

The guy at my local AT&T store told me that I'll be able to keep the same car charger I'm using with my iPhone classic when I upgrade to the iPhone 4. I'm not so sure. What's the truth?

2. drewby macrumors member

drewby

Short answer = yes.

Long answer = we'll have to wait and see on the 24th.

3. Firen macrumors regular

Firen

Why wouldn't it? Not like you get a new charger or cable or anything. I think it's pretty safe to say "Yes".

4. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

I think he's referring to the different amount of juice that may be required for a more advanced hardware. The iPad is an example where it needs the new charger to draw out extra power from the socket... I believe 10w vs 5w for current iPhone.

5. NightStorm macrumors 68000

While I'm hoping my Griffin AutoPilot (charger w/ AUX out) still works with the iPhone 4, I'd really like for someone to release one that doesn't present the Airplane mode prompt every time I use it.

6. Scottbosox macrumors newbie

Classic car charger does not stay in place for new iPhone 4

I have your basic AT&T car charger that I used on my iPhone 3G and it DOES NOT stay in place on my new iPhone 4. I went to AT&T and bought an identical charger and it does the same thing....if you push the pin all the way in, it connects but when you take your fingers off the pin, it stops charging. The exact same thing happens with the iPhone 3G home charger that came with the iPhone. The home charger that came with the iPhone 4 works perfectly; it fits tight. I hope Apple and AT&T are aware of this problem! Does anyone else have this problem with car chargers for the new iPhone 4?????

7. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Depends if it uses USB or FireWire for power.

If it uses FireWire you have to get a PassPort to invert the power.