Will iPhone defeat Samsxxg ann Nxkia?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Henry Li, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Henry Li macrumors member

iPhone is now one of the most popular mobile phones.

If Apple releases a SIM-unlocked iPhone with a lower price, do you think Apple will lead the market of mobile phones someday replacing Nxkia?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Eventually, iPhone : cell phones :: iPod : MP3 players, regardless of Apple's terms.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

He thinks the words are filtered here and is "bypassing" it.:p

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Apple have currently got around 1% of the worlds total mobile phone market.

There's still a long way to go. :rolleyes:

6. svndmvn Guest

since when are Samsung and Nokia standards of anything? We're talking about different markets, I'm afraid.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I believe Nokia has the highest market share when it comes to mobile phones.

8. svndmvn Guest

and what does this mean? Is Windows a standard of anything?(rhetorical, I really don't care) I know i'm exaggerating but still, we're talking about different markets.. I doubt Apple will make 20$ phones with interchangeable covers, a thousand keys, removable batteries, no syncing with anything, 1.5" screens. As far as I'm concerned Nokia is still to make a cellphone directly competing with the iPhone.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Most people in the world are fine with $20 phones with interchangeable covers, a thousand keys, removable batteries, no syncing with anything and 1.5" screens. And Nokia does a fine job at making those phones, hence, they are the market leader.

The question asked was if Apple would replace Nokia and Samsung as the leader in the mobile phone market. Since a cheap Nokia and an iPhone are both mobile phones, the answer is no. Apple may one day lead in the smartphone market, but they will never lead in the mobile phone market.

10. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

why is it taboo to mention Samsung and Nokia?

oh dear, ive just broken it havent I?
    oh no.

11. svndmvn Guest

in that case I doubt Apple will be a direct competitor with Nokia/Samsung. It would kind of be Apple downfall, same goes for a normal netbook.

12. Demosthenes427 macrumors regular

We have you surrounded. Step away from the computer with your hands up. There is no need for anyone to get hurt today.

13. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

You are talking about companies that have been in the business longer and have a reputation for producing reliable phones. Some people hate the iPhone and smartphones in general because of its complexity. Some people just want a phone for the sake of its phone functionality and could care less about using the internet on the go. When the iPhone came out, people criticized Apple for not understanding the whole phone concept with complaints of dropped calls and functionality you'd find on something like a Razor, such as copy and paste. I think the iPhone appeals more to a youthful crowd who grew up using the advances in technology, which although is a large population..is not all of the population. Hell, my uncle won't even let go of his old school NES and Super Nintendo and refuses to upgrade. I think he has an Atari too somewhere.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apple is adding copy/paste to the iPhone. And the iPhone isn't exactly difficult to use - my iPod touch is easier to use than my "basic" Nokia 6230i.

15. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

Your definition of ease is strictly subjective. And yes copy/paste is coming with 3.0 although it only took several years to become a standard feature.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What do you mean by that? The Nokia is OK for just calling and SMS, but I can't really see how the iPhone would be worse based on the iPod Touch, and its calendar and other more advanced features are much more difficult to use...

So what? This thread is about the future.

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

There is no way Apple will become the standard in mobile phones unless Apple lowers its standards or the whole world inherits some money. The majority simply cannot afford the iPhone, therefore even if they wanted it they are forced to buy that $25 Nokia or take the free Samsung that is given away with a new plan. Because of this there will be more Nokias and Samsungs being used in the world then there will ever be iPhones being used.

It's simple economics.

18. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Funny comparison you are making. Samsung and Nokia's bulk business is entirely different than Apple's target audience, and they're both behind Apple and Blackberry in the smartphone market where Apple's only phone belongs.

So the question is nullified with false premise.

19. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

In terms of pure unit sales, Apple will never beat Nokia, simply because Apple will only have one device per year, whereas Nokia will have all manner of devices, in all price points, and levels.

20. diemos macrumors 6502

no, it takes time, and I believe they got more than %3 already, of GLOBAL market. But they just have to keep releasing new firmware and new phones to keep it up. Also their app store is making more money then the sales of phones, that's why iphones are getting cheaper, the more iphones sold, the more people buy from itunes, its genius idea.

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Apple sold 13.7 million iPhones in 2008 to take 1.1% of the global market.

22. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Absolutely! - plus the fact that not everyone likes/wants an iPhone. To some it's too big and not much more than a boy's toy. As a friend of mine says "who wants to play games and listen to music on a 'phone? - I want a phone to communicate with!"

I must admit, in many ways, he's got a point! ;)

23. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

If I had the money, I would consider getting an iPhone solely for the reason that it organizes your voicemails like emails, and still use it just like a phone.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Maybe they'll release more models like they did with the iPod...

25. samiwas Suspended

I don't think Apple has any intention of becoming THE leader in the mobile phone market. It's just not their style. I don't ever think Apple is going to come out with a basic flip or candy-bar phone. Just as I don't expect Ferrari to come out with a basic 4-door sedan.

Yes, I used a car as a comparison. :p