Will iPhone nano announced at MacWorld? (poll)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Dec 31, 2008.

?

Do you think the iPhone Nano will be announced at MacWorld? (released at later time)

1. I am completely certain! I can just feel it! :)

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Yeah, probably. A lot of evidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not

15 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. I think it could easily go either way. I'm 50-50

21 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. I doubt it. Don't see the point. But you never know with Apple.

28 vote(s)
    30.1%
  5. NO WAY!! Stop talking about this people. Just shut up and go on with your lives!

22 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. I have no opinion.

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yes, the rumors about the iphone nano are constantly flooding it. Initially my thoughts were 'No way, there's no point" but now more and more evidence makes me stop and reconsider.

I know you are probably all SICK of 'iphone nano' talk.. and i don't blame you. but discuss the possibilities or at least take the poll. I think it'd be interesting to see popular opinion.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

contradict

(kŏn'trə-dĭkt') pronunciation

v., -dict·ed, -dict·ing, -dicts.

Definitions:
    1. To assert or express the opposite of (a statement).
    2. To deny the statement of. See synonyms at deny.
    3. To be contrary to; be inconsistent with.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm sorry... WHAT evidence?!

4. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yes, please share this "evidence".

Screenshots of case maker websites in 3, 2, 1 ....

5. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Guys who voted in the polls are probably consisting of current iPhone owners who are pissed that a new iPhone may be introduced, but I wouldn't say nano to be safe.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Why would we be pissed? That a lower productive product was released?

That only works when something better than the iPhone comes up, like a "iPhone Pro". Which will never happen.

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I feel an iPhone "Pro" or "HD" is more likely than an iPhone "Nano".

8. Daveecee macrumors regular

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yeah, but it's probably like a mac tablet. Or something bigger with a touch screen. That is much more plausible.

10. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Ha, right now the rumors and analyzes are pointing towards an iPhone without a data plan, more AFFORDABLE plans to everyone. Rumors are calling it a Nano, but I'm more inclined to an iPhone with the same size but the 3G and EDGE internet locked out like other normal smartphones unless you get a plan for it.

People would be mad if they found out Apple comes up with an iPhone that doesn't need SPECIAL data plans.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

What analysts? You haven't been reading the tech news today I see .....

BIGGER Touch styles devices are what the Analysts are talking about. The, dare I say it, ANTI-NANO.

And AGAIN, mandatory data plans have NOTHING to do with Apple. Don't want to pay a monthly fee? Get a Touch or an iPod Nano. sheesh.

12. kalkfi macrumors newbie

kalkfi

This just showed up on the main Mac Rumors page:

Craig Berger, an analyst with Friedman, Billings, Ramsey & Co, reported today that Apple is getting ready to introduce a "lower-cost version" of the iPhone.

"Some call this device the iPhone nano," Berger wrote in a research note. " Whatever one calls it, we believe this device is on its way."
    Berger does not expect the product to be ready for a Macworld introduction. The basis for the information is based on "checks" with Apple suppliers. This report adds to a growing number of hints that Apple is preparing what many have labeled an iPhone "Nano" -- a smaller, cheaper version of the current iPhone.

Meanwhile, the analyst also believes that the iPod Shuffle may get even smaller and a cheaper version of the MacBook could also be introduced, possibly in the middle of the 1st quarter of 2009. He does not believe the cheaper MacBook would qualify as a "netbook" -- a market Apple has specifically said they are not interested in pursuing at this time.

Ya never F'n know...

13. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I'm actually glad something fake is getting all the supposed rumors. That way there might be some surprises.

And if it is real, we'll be surprised that way too.

14. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i like this thought.

and i don't think there is an iPhone Nano coming. i'm with the above post that the next iteration of an iPhone-like device is going to be bigger, i.e. a Touch Tablet.

15. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

+1

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You can feel all you want, but the likelihood of something smaller and cheaper is infinitely more likely to appear. First of all, there will be no "HD" iPhone. It's not even close to a 720p resolution. Even if this was possible, it would be at an outrageous price. The 13" MacBooks barely have an HD screen, so how is a 3" iPhone going to do it?

As far as the "iPhone Pro" nonsense, there are about 80 people worldwide would would want to pay more for a bigger iPhone. All of them post here. The iPhone is one of the largest phones on the market, so why people think it would get bulkier and more expensive is beyond me. The main drawback to people buying an iPhone is price, so how in the hayull does a more expensive one help Apple out? It doesn't. Just because YOU (or anybody else) won't use an "iPhone nano" doesn't mean it isn't an extremely smart move by Apple. Most people use cheap cell phones. Apple made a good cell phone. So if Apple combines those two, it makes gobs of money.

17. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

iPhone Nano 4 life hahaha keep up the solid threads.

It's funny how mad people get about a rumor for an iPhone Nano on a website called MacRumors.

18. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    How much cheaper can they get? You can already get a refurbished iphone for $99. I seriously doubt Apple will come out with anything new for less than that. and what will they have to take off? if you strip it down too much then it's just a sh*ttyass iphone. and the problem is apple didn't make a good *phone*. the phone part of it is decent at best. why buy an iphone nano for $100 which has bad reception, bad speakers, no gps, and no 3g? (assuming it lost those last two features). It's hard for a higher end company to make lower end products.

But if a nano does come out, i'm hoping for a revolutionary concept. another 'iphone-like blow you out of the water' kind of concept.

19. aethelbert macrumors 601

NO WAY!! Stop talking about this people. Just shut up and go on with your lives!

Thanks

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It makes me proud to see that option being the one with the most votes. :D

21. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I doubt it. Don't see the point. But you never know with Apple.

I was borderline this and the Shut up live your lives

ChrisN

Actually 50-50 now but I still doubt it. Don't see the point. But you never know with Apple.

22. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

First of all, the refurbs don't even count toward this. They are available in spotty periods and won't entice a lot of people who want new, not "almost new." They're also only for new customers, which is quite weak for a 5-year AT&T/Cingular veteran like me.

To make a phone cheaper, 4GB of memory can be taken out along with using a cell phone radio that is just for calls. I honestly don't know that such a thing exists, but I assume it does. If Virgin Mobile can make a craptastic phone for $20, surely Apple can make one that would retail for about $300-400, ending up with a $0-99 phone.

I also can't stress more how there are hundreds of millions of people who don't want a complicated phone. My mom basically wants one that makes phone calls and turns on and off. Take a technologically illiterate person with you to Best Buy and see if they think any of the phones sold there are actually easy. Most of them have way too many buttons and very bad UIs. Apple has fixed that, but the iPhone as we know it costs too much for those people.

I'm not saying that I know any such product will be released, but it would be a damn hot seller -- just not to most people on here.

24. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

25. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The cheapest iPhone, in the United States, costs something like $1300 + taxes ($20 voice plan + $30 mandatory data plan + $99 refurb phone, two-year contract). Since the majority of iPhone owners are buying new phones, not refurbs, and probably spending more than $20/month on voice, you're easily looking at $1800 + taxes over the contract period.

So, "how much cheaper can they get?"

Take the same $20 voice plan, no mandatory data plan, and a $50 refurb iPhone nano (assuming a subsidized price of $100 for the nano, $50 refurb price). Assume a two-year contract still. That's $530 over the contract period.

I'm not math major, but I'm pretty sure $530 is less than $1300... no?