Will iPhone OS 3.0 support file transfer to other devices

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gershon, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Gershon macrumors member

Gershon

Hey all, I am certainly impressed with the new additions of OS 3.0 to make the iPhone a cooler and more multimedia powerful device. These are the latest additions, just to recap.

1) Peer-to-peer connectivity over Bluetooth for gaming and other info-swapping.
    2) Paid apps will have the potential to be subscription fee-based, and can include optional paid content that can be bought from right inside the app.
    3) Developers can now build apps that call out to Google Maps, and can also finally bring Apple-blessed turn-by-turn to the phone.
    4) Devs can also connect with hardware accessories over in their apps now, such as a blood pressure monitor -- or perhaps a keyboard? Connectivity works through the dock connector or over Bluetooth.
    5) Long-promised push functionality will at last be included, but apps won't run in the background.
    6) Developers can add streaming video and audio to their apps, along with in-game voice use.
    7) Cut, copy and paste. At last! You can shake the phone to undo and redo the action, and it works with both text and photos, allowing Mail to send multiple photos at a time. (more here)
    8) MMS, along with forward and delete for multiple messages. (more here)
    9) A2DP stereo Bluetooth.
    10) Unlocked Bluetooth functionality on 2G iPod touch. (more here)
    11) Spotlight has been added to a new home screen page to the left of existing pages, allowing for universal search on the phone. (more here)
    12) Tethering is built into 3.0, and Apple will work with carriers on that -- who will have the last say on its implementation, most likely.
    13) App Store will be available in 77 countries.
    14) Parental controls for TV shows, movies and App Store apps.
    15) Auto-login for WiFi hotspots.
    16) A new app called Voice Memos which lets you record notes and reminders.
    17) A revised Stocks app, with news stories and a landscape view.
    18) Landscape view available for Mail, Text and Notes.
    19) CalDAV support has been added to Calendar, along with subscriptions support in the .ics format.
    20) Apple's major apps have all been expanded with search functionality.
    21) Note syncing to Mac and PC.
    22) YouTube account support.
    23) Form auto-fill.
    24) Phishing protection.
    25) Shake the shuffle iPod playback.

HOWEVER, I HAVE ONE QUESTION WHICH I HOPE ANYBODY CAN ANSWER. Will the next iPhone / OS 3.0 's bluetooth be able to SUPPORT FILE TRANSFER to other mobile devices?
    E.g: Like transferring photos to my Omnia from the iPhone or transferring a song from my Omnia to the iPhone via Bluetooth? Any thoughts or comments, people? Thanks for all replies in advance.

2. efice32 macrumors 6502

I don't know for sure, but I would bet it won't.

3. wil49 macrumors member

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I don't think it'll be built into the OS itself, but it should now be possible to use the SDK to write something for the app store that could do it, as the required APIs are being opened.

Phazer

5. lOUDsCREAMEr macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

No, i've tried it..
    Bluetooth mouse/keyboard doesnt work either, as expected :)

6. svndmvn Guest

they say you cannot move an item, which is kinda obvious, it doesn't mean you cannot copy one, I believe..
    I think you somehow could send some other iPhone or ipod touch an item, pretty much like MMS via bluetooth, but probably not to any phone out there.. especially since they specifically mentioned bonjour stuff..

7. roboc99 macrumors newbie

I don't get why this is such a tricky question. Ive been looking around for days now and still nobody is sure. Whats wrong with being able to take a pic with my iPhone and then send it to my buddy sitting across the table? I can do it by email (which I pay for through my carrier), and soon, ill be able to do it by MMS (which I pay for through my carrier), but I can't do it by bluetooth (which would be free... oh wait!!!!!!!).

Maybe I'm being cynical here, maybe it doesn't make sense for Apple to intentionally block a simple, free method of sharing files between mobile phone users just because the mobile carriers would prefer that we all pay to share that funny picture we took of our friends falling over in the snow... I mean, its not like EVERY other bluetooth enabled mobile phone on the market has the capability to share files like that for free, is it?

I'm not sure I buy that, nor am I sure about the whole sharing of copyrighted material like music idea, surely Apple could solve that easily enough and still allow for legit file transfers. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm baffled by the sheer size of this oversight, for that is all it can be. Lets just hope that 3.0 WILL let us share pics etc via bluetooth, either natively or by 3rd party apps - I dont want to jailbreak my phone and void the warranty just so that I can use a feature thats practically standard nowadays for EVERY other mobile phone manufacturer!

8. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

Kind of on the same note:

What about saving files. A friend sent me his latest song recording. I could listen to it fine but it didn't actually save to my phone. I looked in my song list after listening to it and I wash there. The only way I can listen to it is by going back to the email and clicking on the attachment. Seems as though if this is truly an iPod/phone it would be able to handle that pretty easily.

And if I go to the email the attachment is still fully downladed which means the iPhone has it saved somewhere.