Will iPhone Owners Have To Pay For iPhone OS 2.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starflyer, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Starflyer macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

Can Apple account for the iPhone 3G over a 2 year period?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

No iPhone owner will ever pay for software updates.

3. alexboy45 macrumors regular

I am sure i have read it somewhere that because the iPhone is a subscription service the software updates are free. this is why the same update for the touch is chargable.

4. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Agreed.

The iPhone, as stated above, is accounted by Apple on a subscription-based business model. This means, because
    iPhone users are throwing money to Apple & the carrier every month (paying for their phone service amongst other services),
    they qualify to receive extra software-based functionality, without the extra fees. :cool:

The iPod touch on the other hand is not based on a subscription accounting model, as it is a one-off-purchase,
    and this therefore requires these users to pay for extra software-based functionality (hence, why I'm currently selling mine). :)

This will never change.

R-Fly

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

what i dont get is how apple can give apple tv owners a free update that gives many new features for free and there is no subscription service, and the ipod touch is also not a subscription service and you need to pay for upgrades...

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Apparently the AppleTV is accounted for like the iPhone - as a recurring source of income for Apple. :rolleyes:

As an iPod Touch owner I find the whole thing annoying. Especially now that I'll be buying an iPhone 3G, which will likely get free updates. :mad:

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I think it's not so much it's an upgrade as it's unadvertised features.

AppleTV plays content, videos and the like.

The iPod touch plays the same with a few extra doodads.

Atv gets an update for a menu change and renting movies. Not a feature set update.

iPod touch gets an update to send email - that was charged for.

It's kinda shady and I haven't heard of other companies doing this. Maybe Apple's trying to get this "law" known so the people can vote against it?