Will iPhone resale value increase due to carries moving to leasing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marddin, Sep 11, 2015.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

I was the guy who would upgrade every year and resell their previous iPhone on craigslist. I had a dummy line on my account that I used to upgrade on the opposite years.

Do you think iPhone resale value will increase over time due to the abundance of leasing models from carriers? Or would they just stay the same?

2. jediuia macrumors regular

We
    lt makes sense that craigslist value will increase. All those rented phones turned in are being sold somewhere, so only cash customers would most likely be our targets.

I sell on eBay or craigslist yearly too, people buying refurbished phones (used) with a CC can go anywhere on the Internet.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Those phones are sold somewhere. I would think it may help people selling on CL and slightly online at eBay / Swappa.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My guess is that the amount of people getting ripped off buying used iphones will skyrocket.
    With all these plans with 0 down and monthly payments. People will be getting them for $22 and turn around and sell them for $600+
    Then stop making the payments and next month the device will get blacklisted.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Very good observation.

6. Cryates macrumors 6502a

I'm buying a rose gold this year so I can sell it to a crazy person on eBay for a couple grand.

Not really, but I probably could.

7. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

Tell them it's drakes phone

8. flur macrumors 68000

Wow, that's kind of terrifying.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My guess is it will be even more of a gamble buying used soon.

10. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

This might be slightly over-reacting. Next and all other leasing models have been around for some time now. People socials are tied to their phone - I doubt there will be much crookedness (is that a word?).

You should always check IMEI's when buying used anyways.

11. pmcdn macrumors regular

It's supply and demand. Will there be more iphone out there for sale than usual or fewer? Figure that out and you have your answer.

12. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

Leased phones don't show up as clear when you check the IMEI. The carrier essentially puts a lien on the device until/unless you buy yourself out of the lease. Should be easy enough to detect as a buyer if you do your homework.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What imei check?
    Most people still can't figure out to have icloud removed and fall buying lost and stolen devices every day.

14. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

Not sure if this is the true picture. IF people (anyone) could get say the $22 deal, why would they buy them on Ebay for much higher pricing. Low information people?

On the preorders, it's not like you sign up and then receive the phone automatically 2 weeks later. All the sellers (Apple, ATT, etc) do credit checks. I think they do them in the background while you're on line.

I've read several places that the reason for the high prices on eBay, craigslist, etc is that these buyers can't pass the credit check to get on via monthly payments even though they can come up with $500-$600 to buy one on eBay.

Apple and the rest of the providers would be nuts to give one of these phones to a person who doesn't pay their bills. And this is the information that they get via credit check.

15. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

...if you do your homework... If you don't investigate what you're buying, sure you can certainly get ripped off.

16. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

I've used the same strategy in the past. However, it wasn't what I would call a dummy phone. I have a 2nd phone that is one of the old flippers and it costs me $10 monthly plus taxes. In order to make this strategy work, its necessary to keep the "dummy" for 24 months or @ $10 monthly, a total extra phone charge of $240 or roughly, what it costs to upgrade an Apple phone after only one year plus the $199/$299/etc.

I then visit an ATT store where they flip the latest Apple phone over to my primary line, leaving my flipper still active at $10 a month. I would trash this plan, but I have use for the flipper sometimes, especially in "wet" situation such as boating or out hiking where I don't want my latest and best exposed to the elements.

No free lunch here...

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I do.
    Most people out there don't though.
    Over 3 years now that the activation lock has been out and people still fall for it and buy without checking or doing their homework.

18. ohsnaphappy macrumors regular

ohsnaphappy

I had a gold 5s. Wife wanted one. She was under contract, so she couldn't get one. We swapped sims at the AT&T store. Now the gold 5s was hers. THEN the AT&T guy told me the 5s was no longer under contract because it was associated with my wife's number. Since it was literally brand new I sold it for $600. Pocketed $400. And bought her another gold 5s for $199. I did it because I could haha! Not sure if it was smart or not. But I asked and AT&T said it was perfectly legal.

19. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

That's why people should stay away from Craig's List and eBay and buy off Swappa.

20. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

I'm in the same boat-I have a dummy line for $10 to upgrade every year. Hopefully sales price will increase but this year is new as stated. We can discuss again ~10 months from now. I sold my 6 about 10 weeks ago IIRC.

21. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

What is the "activation lock?" I'm not familiar with it.