will iphone sim work in old cingular phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by minchman, Jun 14, 2008.

1. minchman macrumors member

Hi.
    I am thinking of selling my iphone. Would it be possible to use an old cingular cell phone as the interim phone before 3G arrives? Would I have to contact ATT? Thanks!

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yup, it just works.
    I've got mine in my old Razr right now.

3. jmckechnie macrumors member

jmckechnie

It will work fine. Any sim card in any ATT or Unlocked GSM phone will work (99% of the time)

4. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

I just sold my iphone on craigslist for $190. they're selling for more, so I'd try to get at least $225. Also, if u can unlock it, it would go for much more.

and as far as the sim goes, I'm using my iphone sim in an old razr now and it works fine.

5. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Can you use the iPhone data plan on a RAZR? I have an iPhone too and just switched my SIM to my RAZR. I don't wanna be charged extra.

6. guru_ck macrumors 6502

I'm able to use my old iPhone SIM in other devices but the data features don't work.

7. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I sold my 8GB iPhone on eBay the day before WWDC for $350, and popped the sim in an old Nokia my buddy had laying around. Works great. Phone sucks though, but at least its only until July 11.

8. Tannerjr macrumors newbie

text message after SIM swap out of iPhone

I'm getting this text once or twice a day since I switched my sim out of my iPhone last Saturday. It comes from 10000000000

smpp-vip.allntxacds03.attwireless.net:5400?f=0&v=300&m=XXXXXXXXXX&p=&t=XXXXXXXXXX:A:AMS_NB_VIP6:ms01::18677

(XXXXXXXXXX is my phone # w/o dashes or anything else separating)

I've googled it, pasted it into firefox and internet explorer and got nothing with all three tries. I'm just hoping it's not an ATT big brother service fingering me for OS version or something. It would figure that they could do that and then auto switch me to the more expensive data plan.

am I cRaZy? Or is anyone else getting this message?

I've only got to make it until July 11th! =)

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

10. worldwearyeyes macrumors regular

that's normal. it's due to the fact that visual voicemail alerts actually come through as texts. on an iphone, it deciphers those texts as VV alerts. On regular phones, it just shoots those to you as its native text message language.

11. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Is anyone having trouble with voicemail after putting the iPhone SIM card in an older phone? I can't access my voicemail from my Treo. It keeps saying that it doesn't recognize my phone number and asks me to set it up. When I try to set it up, it still doesn't recognize my phone number. This is an account that I've had for years and didn't have trouble before.

12. Tannerjr macrumors newbie

thanks!