Will iPhone Size/Shape Constantly Change?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Henfold, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Henfold macrumors newbie

I get the impression Apple realize there is a strong demand for a phone with a larger display than the current phone.

Do you think the size issue for the iPhone will settle down to just the one size and thereafter physical changes will be limited to camera/processor/battery etc and the screen size will stay fixed to say 5"?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The problem is the iPhone has settled down and its competitors has not. The only real physical change occurred with the iPhone 5 and that became taller not really larger.

Out of the 6 years of the iPhone being available (2007 - 2013), they only materially altered the size of the phone once in 2012 - I'd say that doesn't equate to constantly changing. Apple seems to stick with a given design for many years, just look how long the Mac Pro remained unchanged - the design dates back to the PowerPC days and while apple radically changed the nMacPro they stuck with the old design for a long time - my point is that they don't make changes willy-nilly

I think to compete Apple will release a larger iPhone but that does norm mean they're abandoning the current form factor or we'll see a constantly changing form factor.

3. garysauctions macrumors member

Apple would be wise to market two sizes, the current one and one more with a larger screen.
    Already I have seen people in phone stores moving from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy just to get the larger screen size.
    Personally I like the current iPhone size for a phone, but then I carry a tablet when I am working.
    Maybe a larger iPhone would negate the need for me to have two devices.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree, the market has shown that some consumers want a larger display. Many people scoffed at the idea of a smaller tablet yet those are the ones that sold well, and apple following other people's lead created the Mini.

Likewise we see the popularity of the Galaxy Note phones, there are those (including myself) that would like something a bit bigger.