Will iPhone upgrading still be the same?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrismac00, Jun 6, 2009.

1. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Do you think Apple/AT&T will still let previous iPhone users upgrade with the same fees and including the 2 year contract. Or would we have to pay more or something different?

I'm thinking it will be the same but I wanna hear some opinions.

Please and thank you :)

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The short answer is that nobody knows...

This is a whole different ballgame this time around, so we can't look at either of the previous iPhone releases for hints.

Personally, I think AT&T would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't provide current 3G and original iPhone owners with automatic upgrade eligibility because they will move a lot more volume if they do. Apple has almost a cult following and AT&T would be pretty silly to ignore that.

On the other hand, AT&T does have a lot of money invested in the subsidizing of the 3G iPhones that they have sold. I can see them wanting to recoup as much as possible and therefore leaving the usual upgrade terms intact. But, then again, I suspect that their pricing structure is such that they actually break even a lot faster than they let on, so who knows.

It will be interesting to see, though, that's for sure.

3. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

i am liking your thinking on this one.

4. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking a reduced price upgrade, but not out-of-contract pricing.

Maybe $199 for new iPhone + $xx per month remaining until actual upgrade eligibility. Or perhaps just $199 + flat $100 extra if not eligible - we'd still be signing another 2-year commitment. I'm guessing this would also only be available in an AT&T store.

All just wishful thinking perhaps...

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'd say you aren't completely off the mark. AT&T does offer something they call an "early upgrade fee." I don't know anything about the conditions other than at certain times it allows you to upgrade at the subsidized price + $75.

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

It's a combination of what plan your on, how long you've been a customer, how many lines and features you have etc.

You'll need to talk to a rep about that.

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

I'm counting on having to pay $499 for a new 32G iPhone:

As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 12/12/2009.

8. jasincity macrumors member

Upgrade Status on My Account

Here is the following message I am showing when I log in to my AT&T account:

You are eligible for an early upgrade to an iPhone at a reduced discount. Our records indicate that you will be eligible for an upgrade to an iPhone at a discounted price on 07/11/2009.

Perhaps 7/11/2009 will be the next release date announced on Monday? Either way--it appears that AT&T will allow us to upgrade when the time comes. I had both the first gen iPhone and upgraded on launch day to the 3G.

9. jasincity macrumors member

Actually in looking at the calendar after this post, it appears the 11th is a Sat. This doesn't fit in line with the previous release dates for iPhones but who knows. I find it odd that my AT&T acct now shows eligibility as of this date.

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

Nope, your 7/11/2009 date is just that, the date that you will be eligible for your full handset discount with AT&T on this line based on the date of your last purchase of the equipment. When did you purchase your iPhone? Just add 12 to 21 months to your purchase date and you will see when you are eligible for the normal equipment upgrade. Your individual line's equipment upgrade date is based on several factors.

Dave