Will iPhoto 5 run on Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by phunque, Feb 11, 2009.

1. phunque macrumors newbie

I bought a new 24" iMac running Leopard with Intel Core Duo processors. Having decided that iPhoto 7 does not meet my needs, I tried to go back to iPhoto 5. However, when I dump the iPhoto 7 app and drag in the iPhoto 5 app, it ends up reappearing as the iPhoto 7 app I just dumped. Will iPhoto 5 run on leopard? It was native on my previous Tiger system.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-- phunque

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Uh how can iPhoto 7 not meet your needs? It has more features than iPhoto 5...

Maybe if you tell us specifically what is wrong we can try to solve your issues with iPhoto 7.

3. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Yes it will but you need to install it off your discs.

Why dump iPhoto 7 anyway?

4. phunque thread starter macrumors newbie

Weel, it seems that, in improving iPhoto 7 for some users, Apple made changes to the library structure such that the content of the "comments" field in iPhoto 5 could not be imported to the "description" or any other field in iPhoto 7. Since I've put beaucoup hours into annotating my pics, I'm not willing to manually transfer all the comments nor am I willing to lose them. Since I don't need a particularly sophisticated photo manipulation program, I thought I'd just stay with what worked for me. I tried Aperture on the 30-day trial but it had the same problem - no comments importation with the pics. I plan to try Photoshop Elements but have been having trouble downloading the trial program. If Elements won't do what I want, and Leopard won't run iPhoto 5, I'll just do all my photo management on my PowerBook running Tiger.

5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

According to Apple, iPhoto 5 is supported, however if you break your leopard install doing this, Apple wont help you. iPhoto 5 does work under Leopard on a G4 PowerBook, so it should be fine if you have the original disks.... Also, why not try directly upgrading the library on your powerbook and see if it moves the comments then?