Will iPod Car Charger Charge iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shakeman0, Apr 26, 2010.

1. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I have a usb car charger for my iPod. Can I just plug my iPad USB cord into it and use that to charge the iPad? Or do I have to get another $30 accessory? :cool:

2. mhchan macrumors newbie

It's hard to answer that question... I have one of those car chargers adapters that has 2 USB ports and 2 additional cigarette sockets and my iPad charges fine with it with the included cable I got with my iPad. I guess the answer would be to try it out to see if it works... If it doesn't, then yes you will need to get a new one.

3. DunnMaui macrumors member

will car charger work on an airplane ?

and if the iPod/iPhone car charger will charge the iPad will the same charger work on an airplane providing you're seated next to the cigarette outlet charger ?

4. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I have one car charger that will charge my iPod Nano but will not charge my iPhone. Therefore, I doubt that it will charge my iPad.

I just ordered a 4-port USB car charger that is iPhone compatible, but it notes that other devices may not charge when an iPad is connected.

I guess I'll see this weekend if I get the charger by then. I'll hook my iPad, iPhone, and two DSi's and see what happens.

5. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

For some reason i find it hard to believe no one has tried this yet!

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You know what is hard to believe? The OP asks if this can be done and yet he/she has a car charger and an iPad and yet they're still asking. :rolleyes:

7. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I have all of the above but I am no fool. I am asking as well. Don't want to fry my iPad!

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I doubt you'd fry your iPad. However, Google is totally your friend. Think about amperage, pins, etc.

The answer is pretty clear to me.

9. jaeguyoon macrumors regular

I have a belkin iPhone car charger and I have been charging my iPad with it with no issue.

10. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Phew!

Having said that the iPad does have a phenomenal battery life so car charging hasn't even been a consideration for me ....... yet.

11. Spyderturbo007 macrumors member

Although I don't have my iPad yet, a buddy of mine picked up a WiFi version at launch when I went to Best Buy with him. He had the same question so we plugged it into the car charger I use for my iPhone and it worked without a problem.

This is the charger I have. I have no clue why the reviews are so bad, because I've had mine since last year and it works perfectly. I can use it for my 3GS and my 1g iPod Touch.

12. mhchan macrumors newbie

13. LocoMoco macrumors member

I was wondering the same thing.....so looked into a bit. Comparing two products.

I currently use a Belkin - Micro Auto Charger w/ Charge Sync Cable for Apple® iPod and iPhone Model: F8Z446-BBY I bought at Best Buy. It provides 1 amp of charging power.

I then looked at other iPhone/iPod chargers. Most provided 1 amp.

Kensington PowerBolt™ Micro Car Charger listed in the Apple Store provides 2.1 amps of power.
    This is compatible with iPod, iPhone, and the iPad. I plan to purchase this soon. But am trying out to see if my current (Belkin) car charger will work.

I think the 1 amp might be able to charge. But not as fast. I don't know specifics...its just a best guess at that.

..I have not tested this yet. I have yet to get my iPad 3g to test this theory. I was looking to see if my current Belkin charger would work for the iPad. And when I came across the Kensington, the amp provision stated as being higher than the Belkin.

14. Lotus Esprit V8 macrumors regular

15. madman555 macrumors member

I have a Griffin car charger for my iPhone and when I plugged the iPad in, it said "Not Charging" so I disconnected it.

16. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Let it go and see if it will charge anyway. I've had that happen to my iPhone with a non Apple charger, and it charged in spite of the message.

17. stealthman1 macrumors regular

What airline is still flying 707s???:D

18. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

Was it this one by any chance?

I was thinking about getting the same one for my ipad, but if it doesn't work no point.

19. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

If it does charge, it'll likely be very slow because it's probably 5v or less. When all these iPhone adapters came out there was of course no iPad, and thus no need to make a charger greater than 5v, instead of the 10v that the iPad wants.

20. mhchan macrumors newbie

Actually its not the voltage that determines the speed of the charging, its the amperage... Both the iPhone/iPot/iPad uses 5 volts... However, The iPad can take up to 2 Amps of power as you can see on the power brick Apple provided... It seems that the minimum Amps is 1A so most iPot/iPhone chargers will work, just not as fast as a car charger that would provide 2A...

Think of Amps as how fast the water flows in a pipe and Volts as the amount of pressure the pipe can handle...

21. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Was the iPad on or off?

OUrs works to charge when it is off - just like charging via USB on the computer does.

22. ikdo macrumors newbie

I wonder if the 12v charger (for the firewire ipod) can charge the iPad?

ikdo

23. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

The 5V vs 10V was the USB ports on the PC (excuse the term.. :) ). 'Low power' USB ports are 5V and won't charge an iPad quickly (or at all, if the iPad is on). 'High power' ports are 10V and do charge when the iPad is on.

But as was said, all the chargers deliver 5V *to* the iPad, and it's the amps that matter. Look at the various chargers. MBPs have 85 Watt chargers (17 Amps at 5 Volts). The iPads come with 10W chargers (2 Amps). (Actually it says 5.1 Volts, 2.3 Amps, but we can round off here. :D:D

Sorry for overloading you with numbers, Electrical Engineers tend to do that...

As for iPod chargers, look at the charger. Apple ones will tell you Volts/Amps. I think most of the hardware is 5 Volts, and it's just will it put out enough Amps to do much of a charging job. I don't think we've run across any issues yet from *Apple* chargers. Third party, YMMV.

24. gesnow39 macrumors newbie

Charging iPad with iPod Charger

The trick to using any Apple charger for your iPad is the wattage. The iPad charger is a 10 watt charger and most USB chargers offer 1-2 watts or at most 5W. So, if you use one of lower wattage, you must make sure your iPad is in sleep mode and prepare for a long wait.

25. BaronStein macrumors regular

That actually depends. The charger that I got from AT&T charges my iPad without any problems.