Will "iPod Out" ever come back?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Michael73, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

A few of you may remember that iOS 4 had a feature called iPod Out which enabled certain accessories and cars systems to display the music data of your iPod or iPhone.

In my case, years ago, I bought a very expensive thing called a Chestnut Hill George. It used to sync with my iPhone 4S but when I upgraded to my 5S (and needed a 30 pin to lightening dongle) the only thing the dock is now good for is charging my phone...no more music sync. :(

I'm not sure if the functionality was lost because of the connector of the iOS software although some online research makes it seem like it's more a software than hardware issue.

If the problem really lies with just the software, the question is, will this feature ever be added back in and specifically is there any evidence of it being in iOS 8?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know, but my car's system can read the music, playlist, cover art data from my iPod with no issues. I think Apple updated the protocol and the system you're trying to use is sadly just old (or needs to be updated).

I don't see Apple bringing iPod out back when it's working fine in new systems.

3. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Probably something implemented in the 4S firmware to go with its hardware.

As they're developing the CarPlay thing there's no reason to continue with the old software/hardware combination so they most likely left it to die as they felt it wasn't worth adapting.

4. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

I believe your problem will be with using the lightning / 30 pin adaptor. Don't think that supports audio.

5. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

True. If it's not an official Apple product, it's unlikely there's the audio chip in the dongle.

6. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

I think even if it is the official Apple adapter, it doesn't support audio. Remember everyone kicking off about the fact they couldn't use their old docks when the iPhone 5 was released

7. Zcott macrumors 68020

No. This is being replaced with wireless technologies, the first of which is AirPlay. The second, and more advanced, is projecting iOS onto smalle screens and the first implementation of that is CarPlay.

8. Fenderf4i macrumors member

It supports audio, the adapter has a DAC built into it to provide an analog line out signal

9. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

I had an old Alpine head unit, with a "Full speed iPod cable". This was a 30 pin cable.

When used with my 5 / 5S and the apple 30pin>lightning connector, it worked flawlessly for charging and playing the audio down the cable.