Will iPod touch 3rd gen will still have a camera?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iPod.touch.user, Sep 10, 2009.

1. iPod.touch.user macrumors newbie

Despite apple not announcing a camera on the "new" iPod touch, they also didn't announce a new iPod touch. All that they announced was the 3.1 OS, the 64 GB iPod touch, a price drop, and that the new iPods with be "faster".
    A few days before the new iPods were supposed to be announced, a rumour went around that they were going to be delayed. And the (now considered fake) iPod touch case leaks were all very simaler to the iPod Nano leaks. The iPod Nano leaks turned out to be accurate. If you put all of the evidence together, it looks like we're still going to see an iPod touch with a camera after all, which frustrates me because I was going to upgrade but I would regret it if apple released a newer iPod toucher only months after I upgrade.

http://news.techwhack.com/10843-apple-ipod-touch-3g-2

2. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

actually this is exactly what i'm thinking. the leaked cases (at least for the nano) have proven to be very accurate... for the position of the camera. So perhaps ipod touch is really meant to have a camera but something went wrong and they have to released a not-upgraded ipod touch.

But I don't think they will have any more updates anytime soon. Else the customers who bought this 'fall 2009' version will definitely kill them. Sighh.. Now I'm seriously considering nano with its new features.. or even zune hd.

3. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Don't believe it for the simple reason that if they'd had 'production issues' so late in the day a) what happened to all the defective products and b) how would they have been able to produce a few million third gen units with the new internals and have them ready to ship in time? Far more likely that they've got a prototype unit with a camera in but decided not to go that route at this point.

Personally I think they've realised they've got an honest chance at doing in the handheld space what the Wii did in the home console space and grabbing a massive chunk of the market. Not the hardcore 'if it doesn't have buttons it must suck' gaming brigade but all those who want shorter, cheaper games on the move, who see gaming as an additional pursuit, not a main hobby, who want something different from their home consoles on the move and who just buy the occasional title as the device supports it and everything's so cheap. Hence the push to get more units out at a cheaper price with the £150 8Gb unit and the cheapest third gen Touch being priced more-or-less right on the price for the PSP Go.

4. iPod.touch.user thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure that there is any real difference between the "new" iPod touch and the "old" iPod touch. It could just be a 32 GB packaged with the new headphones and a new OS.
    However, I saw that Best Buy is calling the new ones the 3rd generation, so it sound's plausable that apple just scrapped the camera.