Will iPod Touch 4 have 3G and Face Time?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by yhellotharsir, Aug 14, 2010.

1. yhellotharsir macrumors member

Hey I have heard rumors that iPod Touch Next (the 4th one) will have 3G data plans, face time camera and 5MP camera, and Retina Display x 2.

I was wondering cuz I really want to get one, what are the chances (percentage) that this could happen?

Like 50% likely, 100%? What's the general feeling?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Retina display- most likely
    Camera- yes
    3g- definitely not. IF they did many would jump ship from an iPhone as there wouldn't be much to separate the two products.

3. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

This man knows what he's talking about.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd say the 3G is very unlikely, I mean its not totally impossible, the iPod touch with 3G would be a lot like the iPad with 3G. Would some people use it as a phone replacement? Yes, but the vast majority of users want their cell phone.

5. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Retina display - likely
    Camera - probably two cameras, or one front camera for FaceTime
    3G - I think Apple would leave that for iPhone...

6. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    If Apple charges enough for the iPod touch with 3G I don't know why they'd care whether someone bought it over an iPhone. I would love an iPod touch with 3G--so many of the apps for shopping, directions, etc, are dependent on having cellular data. I think it's a logical evolution, but we'll see . . .

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Apple sells the iPhones for as much as $700 a piece. Trust me, they care which you buy.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

An iPod Touch with 3G could be used as a phone, and Apple wants you to buy an iPhone nor would the carriers like it to not be getting phone AND data charges.

9. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

If the iPod touch got 3g, what would there be to differentiate it between the iPhone?

10. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Hopefully in a number of years, voice over IP will become more the standard as network speeds and capacities increase. I think at some point, "minutes" will become a thing of the past, as all calls are made over network traffic. At that point, we may even see the iPod touch and iPhone merge into one device. I'm not talking next year, or even soon after that. But at some point.

I'd love 3G on an iPod touch. That way, I could use my $6/month Virgin Mobile cellphone, with a 2GB $25 AT&T 3G plan to access my email, location stuff, and everything else. My total bill for both would come out to half of what it would cost me for the 450/2GB on AT&T. It's specifically for that reason that you will NOT see 3G on the iPod touch. A lot of people would jump ship on the iPhone, and carry two devices to have half the bill each month.

11. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I'm sure all of us would *like* 3G on an iPod touch. However, it will not happen. Apple gets a ton of cash selling iPhones unsubsidized. Carriers also want you to be stuck in their contract. Something serious will have to change. Or, you can get something like mifi which acts like router with a 3G internet source.

12. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Retina Display and Facetime, most likely, but 3G, I highly doubt it!

13. iRance macrumors regular

Wait,did you just say Retina display 2x?? WTF.

14. Gatorsxrule macrumors member

Why would apple add 3G to the iPod Touch? Here is what I see it as

iPad 3G=iPhone
    iPad WiFi=iPod Touch

If you want 3G get an iPhone

15. buckawheat macrumors member

Resistance?

I don't get why people are so upset about the thought of a 3G capable Ipod Touch.

I would purchase a 3G capable ipod touch in a second, just for the data aspect (same as Ipad) and would gladly pay $25 - 30 a month for a data plan - I would love to have internet available everywhere without the huge overhead of a voice plan that I don't use.

If Apple offered it, I would buy and use it, I am sure others would as well. I don't really understand why people are so upset about this. If you wouldn't use it or don't like it, don't buy it (if they ever were to release it).

Why would people want a phone at their house, there are plenty of pay phones on street corners and the telco makes much more money off of these! Home phones will never and should never happened! I hate anything new that I don't want! Curmudgeoning continues...

16. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Eventually it will. Give it a few more years. The ipod touch will need to keep getting upgrades, and people will want more than just a GB upgrade. After 4G phones are more common place, then a 3G ipod touch may happen.

17. SoraLimit macrumors regular

The reason why there won't be a 3G capable iPod touch is because that's the definitive line between the iPod touch and the iPhone. It would be too close to the iPhone. For iPod touch users, all they need is an App for calling and text, and it's instantly an iPhone.

Plus, for some reason, 3G would jack up the price of the iPod touch, even though it's only $15.00 to add. Just look at the iPad. It's like a $100+ difference between the wi-fi only and the 3G version.

18. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

3G on a touch would def. cut into the sales of the iPhone. There are currently a lot of VOIP calling and free texting apps on the app store and if the 3G came to the touch people could use those apps over 3G unless Apple did something about, either way, I don't see the 3G coming to the touch.

19. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

I don't think anyone is upset about the idea; we're just being realistic and stating that Apple won't do it. I'd love a 3G iPod Touch myself.

21. chanerz macrumors 6502a

22. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I think its likely to get 3G given a few more years. Not this year for sure, or the next either. Maybe five or so years and the touch (unless it evolves into something else) will get 3G (4G).

23. ianray macrumors 6502

I think FaceTime is likely (given the rumours of signing up for FaceTime with an email address).

Furthermore, I think Apple might debut the next version of iChat (for Mac) at the same time -- including FaceTime support :)

24. gdkid2010 macrumors regular

Oh I don't know.... the whole PHONE part!!!!

25. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

The iPod touch will NEVER receive 3G capabilities. Take it to the bank.

They have WiFi and 3G versions of the iPad, they have WiFi (iPod touch) and 3G (iPhone) version of their smaller iOS devices as well. You can argue that it still wouldn't be a phone, but if it also receives a microphone and camera, which it inevitably will, there would be VERY few things to distinguish the two devices.

Edit: To your other inquires:
    Retina Display - 100% (it's a gaming device, remember?)
    FaceTime (with VGA front-facing camera) - 50% (to broaden the number of FaceTime devices to add appeal to iPhone 4s as well as iPod touches)
    5MP rear-facing camera - 20% (I expect 3MP)