Will it be a waste of $700?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Apr 21, 2012.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

If you got an iPhone and a Macbook Pro? I can't imagine any situation besides surfing in a chair that the iPad does better than any of these devices?

( I can't really think of a reason why I need an iPad but I want one :D )

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

A lot of us on here have an iPhone, iPad and MacBook. I rarely pick my MacBook up anymore unless I have some serious work to do. I'll never get rid of my laptop, so I don't mind not using it around the house. Go for it and get an iPad.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I will bet you will use your MBPro ALOT less if you get an iPad.

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

iPhone is still iPhone for me
    MacBook Pro is now my "desktop" along with my 2TB backup drive
    iPad is now my "laptop" for general surfing/email/games/etc.

I don't think it's a waste for me as I have specific uses for each one. Others may disagree however.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

I have a iPhone 4S, a LTE iPad 3, and an 11" MacBook Air and don't consider any of them a waste of money side they all get used if not daily every other day.

6. Dangerous Theory, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Depends how much you needed that money.

My iPhone is mainly a glorified phone (I rarely use apps any more, apart from the ocassional safari or maps). My iPad is my main web browsing/gaming device to chill with because it's light and instant. I still use my MacBook pro when I want to do a lot of typing or run something the iPad doesn't, and then I'll end up using Chrome and browsing on that because I prefer the larger screen and keyboard.

Edit: Also, the iPad is just a great pick-up-and-go device that you can carry around the house and show your family something quick. I take it to school to look at exam papers/mark schemes or a bit of gaming out of lessons.

7. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I still use my iphone when I am on the move, because it is easier to use and keep/whip out with one hand, and a lot less bulky compared to the ipad.

The ipad is more when I have the opportunity to sit down, so the extra bulk isn't so much of an issue. For example, if I am sitting down marking my books, I may prop up my ipad and run shadow era (an online CCG).

If you surf a fair bit, that reason alone makes all the difference. For me, the ipad is my backup when my dad needs to use my imac for his work. :D

There are also some cool combos you can use together. For example, if you have airdisplay, you can use the ipad as a 2nd display for your macbook.

In short, to quote Steve, the macbook already does most of the things your ipad will be capable of doing anyways, just not as well. I won't say it is a waste of $700, but again, it ultimately depends on how much you really need that money.

I have friends who went with the entire mobile package - 11" MBA, 15" mbp, iphone and ipad, and he uses them for separate purposes. MBP for work at home, MBA for when he is on the run outside, iphone as a phone, ipad for relaxation at home, and icloud to sync everything. :)

8. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

I have my wife's laptop, my Hackintosh, nook color, Galaxy Nexus... And my iPad gets the most use by far. I only use the laptop for quick stuff like air syncing to my MP3 player or downloading something. My desktop is hardly ever used now as well.

For me it was money well spent, the games are less than an xbox360 game, it's more portable then a laptop and if you've got the right stuff you can print as well.. Almost no need for a laptop anymore

9. aneftp macrumors 601

iPad is the best couch Internet surfing/light emailing device. Hands down

If I need to do real work I will at my desk on my 27 inch core i7 iMac.

I also have a core i5 laptop at my disposable if I need it. But most of the time it sits idle.

10. slicecom macrumors 68020

After getting my first iPad, I used my MacBook so little I ended up selling it. I use my iPad for pretty much all media consumption and my 27" iMac for content creation. I don't miss my laptop at all.

11. dieburnbot, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Get it seriously. I thought EXACTLY the same way as you. I had an android tablet and it sucked and I never picked it up and I was like what if I spend the money on the iPad and it ends up the same way.

Well it didn't I use this thing constantly. The main reason is because of how it connects with my iPhone. Everything is better on the large screen and it's like having a giant iPhone. I do everything that I would do on my iPhone on this thing. iMessage, FaceTime, games, etc etc. my laptop collects dust and I hardly ever pick my iPhone up anymore because this thing does everything the iPhone does except make calls (which you actually can setup with apps like talkatone).

I can't imagine my life without it now. My android tablet is still sitting there collecting dust btw lol.

Besides just try it out for 14 days if you don't like it send it back to apple they even pay for return shipping or you can take it to the store. I was hooked after the first 3 days. It's like the iPhone, but so much better because of the screen. My first experience was the iPad 1 and ill admit it was kind of lacking for me so I ended up giving it away, but with the retina display and the features of ios 5 it is a no brainier.

The iPad is like having a laptop with most of the features of an iPhone in an ultraportable device that doesn't tie you to a desk. What more could you ask for?

12. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

That sounds almost exactly like my setup, except I have a Windows desktop just for some games that aren't available on OS X.

13. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

I have a 4S, iPad LTE, and a 13in Air...each one has it's own uses.

14. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

You'll be surprised how much use you get out of it. I have an iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air and Mac Mini desktop. I'd say my iPad sees the most usage time out of all of them.

That said, each machine has its uses. Most casual use or light work (web browsing, reading, email) is done on the iPad. Since getting the new one, I also do almost all photo editing on it as well.

The iPhone is used for phone calls, messaging, social networking, music, organization and occasional email.

The Macs are used for heavier work. Video editing, more complex photo editing, music production and document creation. (Yes, the iPad can do documents, but I prefer to work at a desk for that.) They both handle a lot of the same tasks, which gets used simply depends on whether I'm at home or mobile. The desktop has all my storage drives attached so it's also my main storage station as well.

Will an iPad be a waste of $700 for you? I doubt it, but only you can decide.

15. xdbuix macrumors 6502

Just got the iPad 3. First iPad ever and i'm noticing less macbook pro use and more ipad use throughout the house.

16. b.c. macrumors 6502

I have iPhone 3GS, iPad, MacBook Pro (my work computer) and 27" iMac at home. Each has its use.

But generally at home I'm always using the iPad, anywhere in the house. And when traveling on vacation I never bring my MBP any more. On latest trip I edited and published photos from my DSLR to an iCloud journal while on the road, rather than waiting to get home and using iPhoto on my Mac. However my iMac is still important for keeping backup archives of my large photo collection and other documents. In my case although iPad is very useful in daily use the need for the iMac doesn't go away.