Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrannySmith123

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
The iPhone5's vibration is sort of too loud for me. Sometimes it makes the camera lens rattle a little too. Would it be possible to implement an option on how much you want the phone to vibrate? Maybe in a future software update?

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
why dont you set a custom vibration?

go into settings - general - sounds

choose a ringtone and select your vibration option

This is your only option as far as I can say. Set a custom vibration pattern and briefly touch 1 time on your phone and it will hardly vibrate.

GrannySmith123

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Yeah i know u can tweak the vibration pattern, but i wanna tweak how much it vibrates. The iphone 5 vibrates EXTREMELY loud and it rattles the camera lens sometimes making this disgusting crackle noise. Sounds like the vibration just shatters all the inside components lol.

Im just wondering would this be possible in just an update? Give us like numbers from like 1-5 and let us set how much we want it to vibrate. Right now the vibration is too much.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Thanks for pointing out another option that can be found on nearly every other cell phone ever made, has been requested of the iPhone for years, and continues to be absent.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Thanks for pointing out another option that can be found on nearly every other cell phone ever made, has been requested of the iPhone for years, and continues to be absent.

I've never had that option on any of the phones I've owned, from a range of companies.

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
I've never had that option on any of the phones I've owned, from a range of companies.

me either...the vibration is performed by a motor that has weights on one side of the spindle. I've never ever seen any phone that has the ability to control the speed of this motor and therefore the intensitiy of the vibration...just the duration of the spin cycle.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
This is your only option as far as I can say. Set a custom vibration pattern and briefly touch 1 time on your phone and it will hardly vibrate.

Good idea, but it doesn't seem to reduce the intensity of the motor. It's still far more harsh than the iPhone 4S, which vibrates softly even if the phone is flat on a table.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Yeah i know u can tweak the vibration pattern, but i wanna tweak how much it vibrates. The iphone 5 vibrates EXTREMELY loud and it rattles the camera lens sometimes making this disgusting crackle noise. Sounds like the vibration just shatters all the inside components lol.

Im just wondering would this be possible in just an update? Give us like numbers from like 1-5 and let us set how much we want it to vibrate. Right now the vibration is too much.

Simple answer: nope.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I find the iPhone 5 vibrates much more quietly than my 4 did. I always kept my 4 on vibrate and I could hear it across the room. The 5 I end up missing calls because I either don't feel it or hear it.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Good idea, but it doesn't seem to reduce the intensity of the motor. It's still far more harsh than the iPhone 4S, which vibrates softly even if the phone is flat on a table.

It doesn't. It's a hard vibration as it is. Still reduces the time it vibrates if you do this.

GrannySmith123

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
The old phone i had way before i has iphone had an option to tweak vibration. A phone made by samsung called the samsung flight 2. Im sure its not the only phone out there that has this feature.

The only thing that bugs me about the vibration is how theres always a click right after it. Wish they would just make that autofocus stay in place, or make the phone vibrate less.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
The old phone i had way before i has iphone had an option to tweak vibration. A phone made by samsung called the samsung flight 2. Im sure its not the only phone out there that has this feature.

The only thing that bugs me about the vibration is how theres always a click right after it. Wish they would just make that autofocus stay in place, or make the phone vibrate less.

It's not by design. If you're not happy with it take it back to the Apple store. I"ve handled a few iPhone 5's and I've seen this issue, including on mine. The vibration motor is possibly a little looser in your phone and it's causing a harsher noise. It's possible there are multiple contractors for the vibration motor and that some of them are louder than other.

GrannySmith123

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
And how would they even resolve this issue? Fix it right in the store? This is my replacement phone i exchanged with at&t for a brand new one. Same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.