Will it be worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cambri, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Cambri macrumors newbie

I'm currently running on a previously-owned 2006 Macbook Pro 1.83 GHz (Intel Core Duo). I learned in later research after recieving it last year with a dead battery that this is pretty much the first model of the MacBook Pro?

As a bonus to recieving it (I'm never buying used on eBay anymore) with a dead battery, it also came with an attractive front dent that fused shut the CD/DVD-ROM drive, I had to pry it open with a screwdriver. It worked, I couldn't complain at the time, unfortunately, now it doesn't, and I've only put 5 CD/DVDs in the damn thing. First question? Does anyone know what a repair for that would cost?

My other question, is it worth upgrading? Since it is a 2006, I'm currently running OSX Tiger, and since the release of Snow Leopard, updates have stopped, and my software is out of date for everything except iTunes and Firefox. I know I have to buy the box set if I do upgrade, but is the cost worth it, and will it run on my system? I phoned my local apple store and they said it would, but I have a hard time believing that with such an underpowered processor.

As for memory, I have 1.5GB right now, does anyone know if i can put more in? I received it with 512MB inside, my father was able to add more, but I do not know what the limit is for this model. Same for HDs, or any recommended brands?

Is it worth it, or should I just start saving for the next run of MBPs?

2. BigTroll macrumors member

ive seen used super drives for your mbp on ebay for 20-40 bucks it seems, also iam pretty sure the ram limit for that machine is 2gb, you could try putting in 3gb and it should recognize