Will it bend???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kingofwale, Mar 27, 2015.

1. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

jokes aside, are you worried it will not last through your daily commute?

my plan is to carry it whereever I go, (hence paying premium and tons of sacrifice of ports for this), I have some reservation if it's going to last me 2-3 years.

I'm thinking of probably getting a clear case for it.

how about you?

2. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Of course it will! But probably only if your unreasonable with it.

I'm paying a lot of money for a very compact computer. There is no way I'm willing to keep it in something that makes it a lot bigger.

3. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I personally can't wait for the bending videos.

4. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

Just don't keep it in your back pocket while sitting down and you should be fine :)

5. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I don't see the point of a case for ultra thin laptops. If you take away its thinness, you're left with basically a worse MBP.

6. newellj macrumors 601

Not worried at all.

I used to worry a little about my wife's Vaio Pro 13, which you can flex even with very gentle pressure, and she carries it around all the time in all kinds of crazy bags filled with books and the flotsam and jetsam of a prof's life. A year or two later it's still totally fine. The rMB will be absolutely fine.

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Unless you always put cases on your laptops.

8. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

The Vaio Pro is carbon fiber which is known to bend but not permanently deform. That's why it deforms but not break under pressure unlike aluminum which will deform and break.

9. newellj macrumors 601

Flexing the logic board or display could lead to a variety of failures, and because carbon fiber doesn't support the board very well, that is a risk with the Vaio Pro. The aluminum unibody construction provides a lot of protection against that risk.

10. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

I agree. People need to chill with the cases on everything. I swear many have been "sold" by accessory companies that they NEED cases for EVERYTHING. Do you wear a helmet when you go outside, too? Just enjoy the product you buy, use some common sense, and it will be fine. It's just "funny" that people see the need to cover metal and glass with a $5 piece of plastic. But, to each their own!

11. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I think the better question is, "Will it blend?" :D

12. newellj macrumors 601

Thought of the same. What a mess that would be. Here's a Chromebook. The video also illustrates one computer's resistance to flex and bend issues.

13. Nee412 macrumors 6502

Yes. Apply enough pressure and the rMB will bend. Of course enough pressure to actually bend it won't be applied during normal daily use, including travel.

I plan on using the rMB without a case most of the time, but I'm also going to buy (when it's inevitably released) a Twelve South BookBook case for when it's in my bag. Not because I think it will bend. I just want make sure it doesn't get scratched by anything else in my bag. Plus the BookBook cases look cool.

14. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

The real question is this, will someone or some organization pay $1299 to test it and prove it will bend?"

I doubt it will be any more of an issue than the iPhone 6 is.

15. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Ugggghh... YES! There's a whole Youtube cottage industry on breaking iPhones and those are almost as expensive as the base mac. If someone has a channel with a lot of viewers who are interested in it, they could make their money back. Though I think that iPhone videos are way more popular than macbook videos.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I bet it would bend.

I have a friend who bent his MBAir 13 big time. Left it on the couch and it was sat on.

17. Mrbobb macrumors 601

18. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I just bent my iPhone 6 plus a few weeks ago. Now I am a little more concerned about the ending issue.

19. ByteTheBooty macrumors regular

I'm definitely not going to use a case, but I will for sure use a sleeve for my backpack....anyone know a sleeve that would fit the computer and that's already on the market??? I want to use it as soon as I buy it, so I can't wait for companies to start making some...

20. newellj macrumors 601

Oh, yeah, and a scuffgate, and probably a displaygate... :rolleyes:

21. iRun26.2, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

'PortGate' seems the most likely scenario in my mind.

(It's the most dubious part of the rMB in my opinion)

It won't be too long and Samsung will come out with an add mocking the new rMB based on its single port. Mark my words!

22. kingofwale thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

bend-gate
    battery-gate
    speed-gate

those would be my top 3 choice

23. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I don't quite get the battery-gate one. Something would have to go wrong with the battery.

I think the keyboard has a larger chance of meeting with dislike: Keyboard-Gate

24. kingofwale thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

battery-gate: Stating 9 hour battery while everyone is only getting 5-6 hours max.

although I don't see a keyboard-gate, as it's wildly reported that the keyboard isn't as good as those on other macbook's and will take a while to adjust to it.

25. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

OK. I got it. Yes, it would be bad to not get anywhere near the battery life that they claim.

They've been pretty good lately. I sure hope they're right with 9+ hours. The extra long battery life somewhat cancels the frustration of not having a port available when charging.