Will it break?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbp owner, Jan 15, 2011.

1. mbp owner macrumors newbie

Hi there, tomorrow I cant explain why but i will be needing to leave my laptop in my backpack for a few hours. There are going to be a lot of other things in it such as my binders. When I put my computer in I feel like there is pressure being applied to both sides of the computer. It will be in a small laptop case inside my bag. Is it okay if there is pressure toward both sides of the computer? Am I at any risk of breaking or damaging my computer?
    Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Depends on the kind of pressure, but I have a Speck case around my MBP and had quite a full backpack, that had scarcely space to breathe and the MBP is still kicking.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

My Blackbook lives in my backpack. It's been sat on, leaned upon, squished with books, and left to freeze in the car. It's been doing this for 4 years and still alive.

4. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

6. mbp owner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that makes me feel much better. I have trying to be as careful as i can with my laptop. I haven't had a problem with it in the seven or so months I've had it. Hopefully I will make it last long. How long are MacBook Pros expected to last?

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Mine is 1 year old and fine apart from a few hiccups when it would never wake up from sleep... but it came right again. My Dad's MBP is 5 years old and going good.

8. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

Did the blackbook needed repairs at all?

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If it is the unibody, the odd of damage are very low simply due to the structural rigidity being increased by using fewer different pieces and using aluminum, which flexes less than most other materials used on laptops. Obviously, we can't tell you 100%, but provided you aren't carrying boulders or dropping the backpack, I would say you are probably fine. If you put it inside one of the tight zipper cases which are made of a shock absorbing material, you are then more protected against shock, which is probably the biggest vulnerability to the system.

The part which generally breaks first, at least in the MBP, is the magnetic hard drive as they are shock sensitive. Breaking other parts on it are hard to do unless you have the specific goal of breaking it.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nope, its just been upgraded with ram and hdd. Nothing has ever broken.