Will it harm the battery if i only charge it to around 80%??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cperchard, Jul 12, 2010.

1. cperchard macrumors 6502a

Just a quick question.....i usually charge mine from around 10-20% all the way to 100% and it has been fantastic......but right now i am charging mine and it's nearly 1am in uk and it's only on 71% and i dont think i can stay awake much longer......

I definitely dont wanna leave it plugged in overnight so i was wondering will i harm the battery if i take it out soon without waiting till it's fully charged? I obviously dont wanna make it less effective cos so far it's been awesome.

2. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

It doesn't matter in the slightest mate, sometimes I charge my phone from 30% to 70% then just go out and charge it from 40% to 90% when I get back, I very rarely have time to charge it all the way to 100% every day but it's not harmed any of the iPhones that I've owned over the past 3 years

3. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks very much......i shall call it a night then :)

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

1. Won't hurt it, although go through at least one charge cycle a month. (100%-0%)

2. It won't hurt to leave it plugged in all night either. :confused:

5. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

ah but right now i have it plugged into my laptop....and if i leave it on all night i think my wife will kill me....so it will hurt me :D

6. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I do that every night. Usually it is in the low 20% or in the teens, but once in a while i have to charge it up some during the early evening and when i go to bed, it may be anywhere from 60 to 75% and i leave it plugged in all night anyways.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Same here. Have done it with every iPhone thus far.

8. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

You don't have to baby the charging of an iPhone. Sometimes when I'm out and about I see that the phone is getting low and I'll plug it into the car until it gets to the 80% or so level and then unplug it and go.

You definitely don't have to stay up at night waiting for it to charge. It has a built in "Smart Charger". When it gets fully charged it stops charging. I run my phone down to the 50 something percent level each day and plug it in on the night stand at night. It's charged in the AM, and I assure you I don't stay awake waiting to unplug it.

You should run it down to the 10 to 15% level about once a month and then charge it fully up, but even that is not carved in stone. If you miss a month or do it twice in a month it won't matter.

9. Jelite macrumors 6502a

I just imagine you sitting there watching it like a tv waiting for it to hit 100% every night.:D