Will It Harm the iPhone If It Keeps Shutting Off In Cold Conditions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bushido, Jan 18, 2016.

1. bushido Suspended

bushido

its been around 5 F outside for the last few days and my iPhone keeps shutting itself off. do you think its bad in the long run? i cannot not check the iPhone occasionally. I cant even finish an iMessage without it shutting off

2. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I've got the same problem. I think the phone shuts itself off to prevent damage but I just don't bother using it and keep iit in my backpack or inside jacket pocket - probably will get an old sock and I have warming pads (gel filled) for my backpack. Probably not a good idea to let it get cold repeatedly.

3. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

i never had this on my iPhone 5. my iPhone 6 shut off like 4 times in less than 2 hours on sat. same with a friend of mine. phone too thin?

4. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

I don't think the phone would be damaged through occasional exposure. However I don't think it would be a good idea for any phone to be exposed to extremely cold temperatures for extended periods of time. Or hot, for that matter.
    I would suggest keeping it in an internal pocket, if you're in super frigid temperatures. Mine are in my bag, but during minimal exposures.

5. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

I've been having shut downs on my iPhone 6 at the conclusion of a run where the phone has been on a tune band on my bicep. It's very annoying.
    Today the battery dead indicator came on [at the end of a run 4.3 Celsius]. When I plugged into the juice socket back home, it woke up and said the battery held 66%???

6. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Well, I took a 20 minute walk when it was -16.F (-27C) and my 6 Plus was just fine.
    This was last year on New Year's Eve morning in the mountains.

This winter was -8F (same mountain) and my 6s Plus was just fine.

My iPhone was in my pants side pocket both times.
    I had some basic army pants (waterproof only, not cold resistent).

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Never had a problem as long as the iPhone is kept against the body while not using it. Have been able to make and receive calls in as low as 9 degrees with no problems. Today's battery technology will not allow your phone to get cold soaked or it will shut down.

8. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Be careful if you guys are keeping the phones close to the body (interior pocket) in cold weather. Humidity will build up in those pockets. Even if you have the more water resistant S, it may damage your leather case.

9. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

I always assumed the battery froze when my phone shut down in the cold, atleast that's why I thought my iPhone 5s battery got screwed up

10. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

According to Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201678

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Very low temps in the -40 F range can freeze the battery and actually make it expand, damaging the battery.

12. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I keep my phone in my jacket pocket when skiing. Lately it has been in the 20s and my phone has been shutting off when I take it out just to check the time. In order to turn it back on I just have to plug it in. It's extremely annoying.
    I think that my battery has become damaged by the cold, since my battery life has been horrible since last winter.

13. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

I too think the cold damaged my 5s last winter, battery turned to crap after winter and I was stuck with a phone that barley lasted till 2pm if I don't use it.

14. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

I've had the issue too. Would happen in 40F temps on longer walks. Must have been 9.2 because it started in December when it was released. With 9.2.1 I just put my iPhone in the freezer for 10 minutes, it was super cold but didn't turn off. It being so cold does effect the screen for a bit until it warms up. Creates a weird visual effect with slower/blurry looking animations.

My thought is that was a software issue that they fixed in 9.2.1. They announced an issue with battery not reporting correctly and I think this was likely part of that same problem. They just don't want a press release saying your phone may shutdown in the cold because it's just too juicy of a headline for the press.