Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.R.Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Guildford, England
Guys i am thinking about upgrading the RAM on my iBook G4.

Do you guys think that it would be worth it?

I have 512MB of ram at the moment and how much of a diffrence would it make to have, lets say another gig of ram? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Simon1966

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi R.R.Mac,

adding memory will improve the speed of your iBook and is the best upgrade you could make. 1 gb will give you 100% speed improvement over 512Mb of ram.

Simon

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
To check whether you need more RAM, restart your machine and use it normally for about an hour. Then open Activity Monitor and check the number of page ins and page outs. If this number is quite high, then you would benefit from more RAM. If it is low then you will not benefit from more RAM.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
To check whether you need more RAM, restart your machine and use it normally for about an hour. Then open Activity Monitor and check the number of page ins and page outs. If this number is quite high, then you would benefit from more RAM. If it is low then you will not benefit from more RAM.

What if you have huge amounts of page in/outs and your machine is practically maxed out?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, it might be time for a new machine with higher RAM capabilities, or it might be time to rethink how you're using the machine and what apps you use...

R.R.Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Guildford, England
how much do you call high?

mine is 67249/1448

thats high right?

how much do you think i should upgrade to?

put 512 more in or 1gig in?:)

R.R.Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Guildford, England
Well, it might be time for a new machine with higher RAM capabilities, or it might be time to rethink how you're using the machine and what apps you use...

sorry but no to the new computer, I love mine. :) :) :)

i just need to upgrade my ram and i enjoy using loads of apps at once so i am not going to stop that! :) :)
(i multi-task):)

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
not exactly, one should look especially at pageouts as it is when the system writes to virtual memory because the physical ram is full, pageins are when the systems actually take back whats in the virtual memory back to physical memory. you can type top in terminal to see the size of your virtual memory and instant values of pageins and pageouts :D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
how much do you call high?

mine is 67249/1448

thats high right?

how much do you think i should upgrade to?

put 512 more in or 1gig in?:)

That's very high, if it only took you an hour to get there...

sorry but no to the new computer, I love mine. :) :) :)

i just need to upgrade my ram and i enjoy using loads of apps at once so i am not going to stop that! :) :)
(i multi-task):)

Haha, fair enough. I wasn't really directing that comment at you though. :)

not exactly, one should look especially at pageouts as it is when the system writes to virtual memory because the physical ram is full, pageins are when the systems actually take back whats in the virtual memory back to physical memory. you can type top in terminal to see the size of your virtual memory and instant values of pageins and pageouts :D

True, page ins are less relevant. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.