Will it need to be worn high on the wrist?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Andy0568, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Andy0568 macrumors regular

I've been wondering...In the keynote I noticed Tim Cook is wearing the Apple Watch much higher than I wear watches (typically I wear watches below my ulna, closer to my hand; Cook is wearing his watch farther up his wrist proximally). The Fitbit Surge with pulse sensor says it is more accurate when worn farther up the wrist proximally. The Surge is an inaccurate POS, but I wonder if the Apple watch is inaccurate too in pulse sensing/caloric burn/etc, will we get some sort of "You're wearing it wrong" response similar to Antennagate?

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I'd guess you have to wear it in roughly the right location and quite snuggly also.

This would cause a problem for me if I bought one in the future, and will cause a problem for others right away.

We talked about this previously that I, and others admitted, the like to wear their watches lose on their wrist, so they can move around a bit, but not quite so lose that they can actually spin around to the underside.

I'm only guessing, but. Wearing the Apple watch in this fashion, as people even here admitted they like to, is going to cause havoc with the sensors I would imagine.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It could be that the watch needs to be worn higher so that the sensors work correctly. Or it could be that Tim Cook was just wearing the watch higher so it was easier to keep it concealed under his sleeve until the reveal.

4. McCool71 macrumors 6502a

I think all devices with sensors like these need to have good contact with the skin to work. No smart watch - be it from Apple, Samsung, Motorola, LG, Sony or anyone else - will probably be able to do a good pulse reading if you wear it loosely around your wrist.

5. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I won't be wearing it high or low. No need for it as far as I can see at this point.

7. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I have seen that too. I think a lot of people with thin arms wear it higher. I wear my in the same place as the OP. It's the narrowest part of my arm. Even if I wanted to wear it higher, it would probably ride down. Some people have thin arms that are the same circumference as their wrist who probably don't have that issue.

8. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I'll be wearing my apple watch like wear all my watches, loose. So I guess I won't bother with the sensors unless I'm exercising. Having it higher on the wrist would make it impossible to use wearing a shirt. Didn't think about this before this thread but I hate having a watch tight.