Will It Run??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kriskay, Mar 7, 2008.

1. kriskay macrumors member

Easy Now!

I have the option of buying a Black Macbook, but i would like to know will it run Logic Studio, i expect the 2.2 will get it by for what i need to do. Does Logic Studio (8) need or would benefit from the Macbook Pro's graphic power?

If i buy the MB 2.2 i will max it out with 4GB ram and the same if i get the MBP 2.2. I will be using an external monitor so no need for the screen real estate.

So shoudl i get the MB 2.2 or MBP 2.2, difference in price is about $300 but i really need a new ext hard drive after my LaCie failed last week.

Can anyone help my decision, Cheers !!:D

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Logic Studio doesn't need graphics power, but apps like FCP do. I can't see why it wouldn't work, but (don't hold me to this, I'm on my way out the door) I think the MacBooks have a smaller L2 cache and/or frontside bus than the MBPs, which could impact on speed considerably. Best to wait for an answer from someone more clued up on Logic than I, though!

Only other thing to consider is which external display you have. The integrated graphics on the MacBook don't have the oomph required to drive a 30" ACD, and this may or may not hold true for similarly-sized screens from other manufacturers.

3. kriskay thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that, yeah i forgot about the L2 Cache, im sure that will harbour the speed on the MB, i guess the MBP really are needed for the pro applications. I think you answered my question and i will probably go with the MBP.

Anyone know what is likeley to be the difference in speed runing Logic Studio though, just be nice to know im deffo doing the right thing.

Thanks Mate

4. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

They have exactly the same FSB (800Mhz) and if you choose the low-end MBP, they have the same amount of L2 Cache (3MB).

The Macbook would be fine for your needs - Expresscard slot and FW 800 would be nice on the MBP, but not essential.

5. kriskay thread starter macrumors member

MB SR 2.2 Or MBP SR 2.2

Sorry perhaps i should have been more clear. I will be using many VST's and soft synths, this will probably hog it down to a stop, however i need the portability.

I went to an apple reseller today and basically they just told be to buy the top end MBP and i would notice a HUGE difference between 2.2 and 2.5models. I wasnt having none of that though.

Basically im going to get the MBP but will it run Logic fine if i max it out with 4GB ram? Sorry i have never used Logic and want to know before i decide to buy a MBP. Im sure many people have had the experience with it on thier MBP's.

I think the MBP SR 2.2 machine is the one im gonna plump for, is this a wise decision? Can anyone advise? or will this just be exactly the same performance if i get a MB SR 2.2. My 42in Sony LCD TV ran my old macbook fine for screen real estate so no worries there. The cost is an issue as i need to save as much money as i can to but the VST and soft synths i have my eye on and thier not cheap!!! :(

Cheers !!

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

For any audio apps, the screen realestate is one of the factors that can make life good or a pain. I think the 15" screen would be a deciding factor. Also the FW800 port allows you to have an external hard drive (very important) plugged in at the same time as a FW audio interface.

The ExpressCard/34 slot is more esoteric, but if you really wanted to go to town with multiple eSATA hard drives, you could with an eSATA Expresscard adaptor.

IIRC, some of the hardware VST accelerator companies are coming out with ExpressCard accelerators -- yes, Universal Audio - if you are bogged down with VSTs, this could be huge.

7. trip1ex macrumors 68000

The MB will just as fast in apps that don't rely on a video card for performance. So you should ask Apple directly what kind of video card do you need to run Logic. :) (Or look at the specs.)

A salesperson will almost always try and upsell ya.

The MBP though is setup for professionals with features like mentioned above.

It all just depends on your needs. Do you need the bigger screen, the firewire 800 or the express card slot? Do you need to drive multiple monitors? Do you run apps that require the video card?

Anyway if the price difference is only $300 then I would go MBP in a heartbeat.

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The MacBook will run LogicP8 without any issues at all, but you may find the screen estate is a real issue. The MacBook Pro is MUCH better for large projects with lots of AUs etc...

I hope you aren't planning on running VSTs? Logic works around the AU format, not VST like Cubase does.

I thought this would be an issue when I originally made the switch, but actually it isn't. Most VST instruments have AU versions, and there are a lot of 'AU only' plugins out there which have no VST equivalent.

9. richardsim7 macrumors regular

richardsim7

I'm running Logic 8 on my MB 2.2 absolutely flawlessly :)

-Rich-