Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Braveheart1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
GREECE
I am about 2 buy a power mac g5 2x1,8ghz. :)

I am going to work with my computer 24/7 either downloading , folding , video encoding etc. :D

Can my mac stand this 24/7 "torture" or not? :eek:

What is the expected lifetime really? :confused:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
There's already a reasonably similar thread somewhere round here talking about how old some people's Macs are. The G5 should last you for a VERY long time. Any problems you may have with it will be in the first few weeks which are usually bad components but this is pretty rare and they can be replaced easily under warranty.

Of course, the G5 hasn't been around long enough for an actual or scientific response to your question but going by what other Mac hardware has achieved, you should be absolutely fine with that for another seven or eight years. Just don't hold me to that. ;)

Braveheart1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
GREECE
Thanks man! :eek: :eek:

Good news , i'll stick 2 my good old g5 for a loooong time! ;) :D ;)

Thanks again! :p

PS A pc-user and friend of mine terrified me yesterday by telling me how un-reliable macs are and that's the reason i opened up this thread! :mad: :p :mad: :p

Anyone else?

Hiroshige

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2004
Apple put so much care into crafting the G5 machines. With 9 fans, no parts are working too hard, no parts are stressed. And you are not getting rev. A. The initial kinks have been worked out. The machine should last a very long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.