Will it work out of the box?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gripper, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Gripper macrumors newbie

Will the iPad work "out of the box" or must it be connected to iTunes first? (I'm going to be on the road and might have a chance to get one, but won't have my MacBook Pro with me).

TIA...

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

3. troop231 macrumors 603

Some people on here said by plugging it into a computer for 30 seconds, then unplugging it will allow you to use it

4. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

On launch day, they were doing that instore. Not sure if they're still doing it but I would imagine they could easily do that.

5. troop231 macrumors 603

There might be another way to spoof it into thinking its plugged into a computer without plugging it into a computer with different resistor values.

6. SirReel macrumors newbie

Was just going to say that. On launch day they offered to "activate" if for me in store, but I just declined and brought it home. It does require a connection to iTunes on first run, but like stated above they were able to do this in store on launch day, so can probably still do it now. This was at Apple stores, not sure about Best Buy locations if that is where you are planning on picking one up.

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

That whole gotta plug into iTunes before you can use it is a blunder on Apple's part. I'm sure you could get them to "activate" yours in any Apple store or best buy. Hopefully Apple will remove this nonsense real soon.

8. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

If you purchase the ipad from an Apple store, they can sync it up for you on the initial activation on one of the many computers in the store or you could do it yourself. Basically all you need is a computer running itunes and you are all set. Worst case go to a public library and sync it up.

9. troop231 macrumors 603

Someone post the Ohms values for the different 30 pin settings

10. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

Buy it, unbox it, plug it in to a demo computer, launch itunes, leave. :D

11. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Speaking of working out of the box, I was pleasantly surprised to see a 100% charge when I opened mine

12. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

Yep, Best Buy will def activate for you. Maybe local library will help you too.