Will iTunes Match wipe out songs from my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by darkus, Nov 3, 2013.

1. darkus macrumors regular

I have an older iPhone4s which has a TON of music i had from my old mp3 days.

I decided to enable iTunes match on my account (using my desktop computer which has no music). I now want to activate iTunes match on the iPhone 4s, but it gives me a warning that my music will be replaced on the iPhone 4s if I activate.

Question is.. is this true? Will all my old mp3s be now replaced with my empty itunes match list from my desktop ? I actually want to reverse actually, for all my old mp3s to be synced into my iTunes match account so I can use it on my other devices

Thanks !

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes it'll wipe your phone!!!!

There are plenty of ways (use google) to transfer your music to your computer

3. darkus thread starter macrumors regular

Whew, ok good thing you told me, saved my music list. Now heres another question, If i plug in my phone to the mac and do a 'sync music', will that also wipe the music from my phone, or actually sync my songs back to the mac? (Hopeing once I get the songs onto the mac itll get into my itunes match list?

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

5. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

It will sync the blank library to the phone, effectively erasing everything.

What you need to do is manually copy all the music files off of your phone using a file browser. Then you can add them to the iTunes library on the computer, then enable iTunes Match in order to get everything on all your devices. The iTunes library on the computer is essentially the "base" of what Match will use.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It depends on which iOS version you're running.

7. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

I recently did this and on my devices it didn't reset the music.