Will iTunes wake a "sleeped" iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JRoDDz, Mar 14, 2010.

1. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

If I use the the iTunes share function to share all my music on my iMac and the iMac goes into sleep mode will it wake when I use my Macbook to play the shared files?

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Sleeped? I'm sure you're aware of the word "sleeping"

To answer your question, no.

3. JRoDDz thread starter macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Sleeping... yes.. the iMac is sleeping.. maybe having some dreams too.. :eek:

On another note.. do iMac's dream of electric sheep?

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

No, though it's possible to wake a Mac remotely over the network.

What you want is a "wake on LAN" signal; you enable this in the Energy Saver preference pane by checkin the "Wake for ethernet access" box.

Now, if you have a recent-model Apple router with updated firmware and the computer you want to wake is running 10.6, the Mac will actually show up in the Servers sidebar of the Finder even when it's asleep, and selecting it will wake it automatically. I don't think just accessing iTunes is good enough, but clicking on it in the Finder and then going to iTunes will work.

If you don't have an Apple router you can still do this, but it's going to require a 3rd party app; I've used this one in the past and it seemed to work fine (it also includes a handy Dashboard widget ):
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24421

Basically bring up that app or the Dashboard widget, wake the computer remotely, then go to iTunes and listen away.

They probably dream of saved sleep state images and solid-state drives.