Will iTunes WiFi store work with edge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by s8film40, Sep 7, 2007.

1. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Im wondering if the iTunes WiFi store will work with edge. I know the name of the store is WiFi but it seems reasonable to me that it could just as easily work over edge a little slower of course. If it doesn't for me at least it will be a completely useless application as 99% of the time I use WiFi I'm at home where I could just as easily download from iTunes, I don't come across many hot spots when I'm out.

2. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I'd honestly be surprised if it didn't work with EDGE. Though I image its going to be rather slow downloading ;)

3. s8film40 thread starter macrumors 6502

s8film40

So now that 1.1.1 is out has anyone tried using the iTunes WiFi store with edge? Im on vacation and wont be able to install the update for a few days so I can't check it out myself.

4. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

it dosent work over edge....this is why it is called wifi store

5. The General macrumors 601

It does not work over EDGE.

Attached Files:

6. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Called WiFi store for a reason?

Think if there was any plans to work over Edge they wouldn't have used that name.

7. s8film40 thread starter macrumors 6502

s8film40

That's a shame I was looking forward to being able to use this program. I guess on the upside I'll probably save some money. Thanks for letting me know.

8. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

:p That is one way to look at it.

9. iansilv macrumors 65816

this has got to be either a hack or a future update

10. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

I doubt it will be a future update.

They probably had an agreement with ATT, because for each MB that you use over edge it costs ATT $XX.XX dollars. If everyone is downloading 4MB songs over edge it is costing ATT money as well.

11. GTiPhone macrumors regular

Such a disappointment, there is no point to this feature. Not at all. Without being able to use it on EDGE, I cannot ever imagine a need to purchase music from the phone instead of the computer.

Why does everyone seem to think it would take so long over EDGE?

Using Installer.app, I regularly downloaded content 4-7 mb in size. Same size as any mp3. Never took more than 2 minutes.

12. forza1976 macrumors regular

I reckon it's actually the fact that Apple won't allow us to download ringtones or any other content from ATTs catalog so ATT gave them the middle finger and said they can't use the iTunes store over edge.

13. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Or more likely, Apple didn't want AT&T cutting into their iTunes revenues in any way.

14. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

eh hell with all corporations and big companies they all want your money

15. dodonutter macrumors regular

Ok that can't be right. 7MB in 2 minutes is ~450kbps if i'm correct and no way is edge that fast.

((7*8)/120 = 0.466Mbps = 466kbps)

Apparently its 80kbps on AT&T after their upgrade and with a 4MB song that should take just under 7 minutes so how did you get it in 2 mins over edge?

Well either that or i'm very wrong about something here

16. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

i'm pretty sure I read people claiming to hit near 200 kbps on EDGE.

I think my max so far was in the 160s, but I might be mistaken.

17. dodonutter macrumors regular

Think it can get slightly above 200 in theory but in reality the average speed is dog slow. Depends how the provider has implemented it i suppose. Just hope O2 have a decent back end behind the EDGE so its fast (ish) I don't really wana downgrade to dial up speeds again

18. BuxtonUK macrumors member

Just to clarify this, does that mean if your speed was 160kbps, you would have downloaded a 320kb file in 2 seconds, or do you mean the line speed was 160kbps so you could download files physically at 16kbps?

Sorry if this sounds redundant but I'd just like clarification over the actual speeds, thanks.

19. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

One feature I'd like to see in a future upgrade is the ability to at least browse the store whilst over edge. I can see why Apple don't want people downloading over edge because it'll take hella long to download each track. They could implement it so that you could pay for the song over edge and then when you reach a WI-FI hotspot the tracks automatically start downloading. I'd also like a podcast section too. Nothing too much :p

20. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

agree with the podcast section, i take it it's because there's no money involved why should they bother?

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

with that logic, why should Apple both with Podcasting at all?