Will iwatch have a data package for calls and messages

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Spartans123, Mar 2, 2015.

1. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

1. There is no such products as the 'iwatch'.
    2. If you're referring to the Apple Watch. No, it doesn't, it simply takes calls from the iPhone.

2. Spartans123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the wrong name but guess what you knew what I meant. Thank you

3. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

No worries. Glad to help.

4. UAV macrumors regular

no data or cell pkg. for the main reason that it's just a dumb watch. the only smart watch i know of right now that does is the samsung gear solo. now that's a smart watch

5. Spartans123 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Bluetooth range. About 10m depending on surroundings.

7. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Or possibly direct wifi range.

8. Spartans123 thread starter macrumors newbie

If my phone is not near me but I can get on wifi, will it be able to work(message/apps/gps/calling)

9. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

The watch has wifi for connecting to your phone (in addition to bluetooth) but not for connecting to any other network. We don't know what exactly the wifi will be used for.

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I don't think the Watch is designed to be on wifi continuously. I think (not even sure Apple specifies any kind of wifi, to be honest) it may use direct wifi for the occasional transfer of data, but it's not going to be like an iPad and sit on wifi all day long. There's no way current battery technology would allow for that. I think the watch is going to be getting virtually all its data via BT-LE (Bluetooth low energy).

I agree that communication over wifi would be ideal, so no matter where your phone is at home (or work) or how far out of BT range, you can remain connected, but I just don't think it's there yet.

11. Spartans123 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

One model does.

13. Spartans123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you get a Samsung gear to work with iPhone 5s?

14. amirite macrumors 6502a

I thought Bluetooth LE had a pretty long range. Something like 150 feet? That's the range of my Tile.

----------

No. I don't think many of us would really want to either.

15. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Actually that's just another dull phone slapped on the wrist.

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It has WiFi but is is only for point to point iPhone communication. Apple will use BT and WiFi in some unseen way like AirPlay. WiFi will be 100% invisible to the end user.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...e-Watch-Apples-Most-Personal-Device-Ever.html

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's not too smart if it requires a consumer to buy yet ANOTHER data package and ANOTHER contract. To me that is dumb.

18. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Exactly. This is what get's me with people who want another mobile phone on the wrist (another phone number, data allowance, another bill to pay)

19. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

In other countries of the world it´s totally possible to have a Twin SIM, or even triple SIMs. I have a Sim that´s tied to my phone´s SIM, except that its only data (sharing with phone) and inside the iPad. Same subscription at the carrier, about $1 dollar extra a month..

You could also have two (or three) active sim´s with the same number, but on 3 different phones.

In Norway at least.

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Then perhaps it will be able to maintain connection to the phone when out of BT range. This would make me very happy. I'd love to leave my phone in my office but still get messages as I walk around the building at work (wifi coverage throughout).

21. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Ok, Norway have it! Any other country? And is it really that useful? I have one sim card/ one phone that I can tether data to any other device I want. I seriously can't think of a single reason why I would want 2 sim cards of a same number.

22. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

Well, lats say you work with plumbing? Would you like to bring your expensive iPhone 6 to work, or would you rather bring the dingy old iPhone 4 instead. They both call at the same time, because it´s "the same" SIM...

23. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

The Samsung Gear S(olo) STILL NEEDS a phone to be paired with to work. So, it's not a 'true' smart watch yet. You can make phone calls on it, yes, but you still NEED to pair it to a few particular Samsung phones.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/phones/mobile-phone-accessories/samsung-gear-s-1263307/review

24. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Oh, I have wanted this for well over a decade.

We don't all work in a sparky surgically clean office you know.
    Probably the majority of people don't either.

I have always wanted a very high end phone for when not at work, and a lower spec cheaper knock about phone for at work.

Which would mean 2 phones 1 sim/number, but in the UK you can't have that :(

So, yes, I and many others I'm sure would love to have the option.

Be like only having a best suit to wear for everything, you would want other cloths for other times.. no ?