Will Jailbreak 4.2.1 affect baseband question!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pjny, Dec 21, 2010.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

A friend just got a iPhone 4 today and wanted to jailbreak it so that she can use MyWi for internet access.

I'm confused about all these baseband upgrade/downgrade issues.

Do I need to worry about the baseband with untethered/tethered 4.2.1 jailbreak ? She doesn't need an unlock but I am worried that the baseband can be affected and Apple might notice it if she goes in for a warranty repair.

She just wants to jailbrake. What does she need to be aware of in terms of baseband issues? Thanks.

2. outphase macrumors 65816

baseband issues will only be an issue if unlocking is something you care for. If you don't care for preserving an unlockable baseband, don't worry about it.

3. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will baseband upgrade make iphone 4 unlockable forever? I've heard you cannot downgrade once you upgrade the baseband incase she wants to unlock one day. Just wondering if she needs to ever sell iphone or get a warranty replacement.

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

We don't not the future. If Apple created a baseband that can't the hacked, then, yes, phone won't ever be unlock. But, it seems like people are always finding new hacks to unlock new baseband. It's best to keep your current baseband. At some point, there will be a unlock for it and you ust wait, but if you are constantly updating the baseband, you wait time will just keep getting longer.