Will Keeping iPhone plugged in while running GPS hurt it long term?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by hokiepokie07, Aug 23, 2009.

1. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

Will it hurt the battery life of my iphone long term?

that's the main worry I have about purchasing any of the GPS apps on my iphone.

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

It won't have a tremendous impact provided you use the proper voltage charger. You'll want to consciously let iPhone drain completely each month to reset accuracy.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. johnnyxhuynh macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Lithium-ion batteries perform and last long the less they are discharged (they build up crystals in drained cells). So keeping it plugged in (and charged up) will make them last longer. As stated you should only completely drain (bad for the batteries) your iPhone battery once ever month or 2 to reset the charger controller.

6. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i do it once a month.

so keeping it plugged in and running TomTom on a trip 8 hours or so won't hurt the iphone long term?

7. bbrosen macrumors newbie

I am more worried about having it on my dash or on the windshield because of the hot sun beating onto it. Does it need to be on dash or windshield to work or can it sit more inside my vehicle?

8. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I keep mine inside the ... thing... where the red dot is located:
    [​IMG]

9. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

whats holds it in there? Do you have a clip or holer keeping it secure? Are you able to hold a GPS signal w/out a direct patch?

10. jacobgaul macrumors regular

its funny, i have a DLO iphone car charger (at least i think its the iphone one not the ipod one as it charges fine) and i notice when using it + running navigon if the phone gets too hott it actually stops charging and sometimes even shows the phone's fully charged icon even if the battery is at a % less then 100% should i maybe check into a different charger or has anyone else experienced this as well?

i had navigon running for a 4hr trip the other day, and about 2.5hr into the trip the phone stopped charging because it was too warm. i had to exit navigon to get the phone to charge again. i dont know if its my charger or if the phone is just over heating. i dont use a full case. only a incipio feather