Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
I'm thinking about switching over from Powerpoint to Keynote. I used the older versions of Keynote years ago and remember them being quite elegant compared to Powerpoint.

However, it seems that the currently version of Keynote has been out for a while. Do you think I should wait to update? (That is, if there is even a chance of them updating)

cephbirk

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
Advice about waiting for the new iWork (and thus new Keynote) is hard to give. The current version of iWork is obviously very old (2009) at the pace technology advances. Many iWork users (myself included) have been biting at the bit for a new version to come out! Unfortunately Apple has been silent about the issue for a long time.

There are currently rumors that Apple may release a new iWork alongside Mountain Lion this month. But rumors and rumors. If I were you I would wait until Mountain Lion comes out (sometime this month) and if there is still no new iWork then I would get the current version of Keynote. I use Keynote and find it vastly superior to PowerPoint despite its age. If there's no new iWork with Mountain Lion then there is no evidence of a new iWork anytime soon and it would probably be worth it to invest in the current software.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Given the rumours of an update have been around for over 2 years, if there is one in the works I would imagine it's going to be out around the time of the ML release.

Give it a couple of months, if there is no word from Apple after that, then there isn't a hope in hell of an update ever happening.

glewis

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2011
Keynote isn't exactly expensive and I'm sure if Apple upgrade iWork around the Mountain Lion launch then they might give a free upgrade to those who bought it recently.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Actually, the 3 iWork apps received updates last year. They weren't earth-shattering changes, but they did happen. For instance in Keynote, we finally got built-in access to the transitions that previously had only been seen in apple keynote presentations, such as the lettering flyapart transition, the drop off transition, and the anvil (text or object drops down, bounces a couple a times and raises a cloud of dust - VERY effective) transitions.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Actually, the 3 iWork apps received updates last year. They weren't earth-shattering changes, but they did happen. For instance in Keynote, we finally got built-in access to the transitions that previously had only been seen in apple keynote presentations, such as the lettering flyapart transition, the drop off transition, and the anvil (text or object drops down, bounces a couple a times and raises a cloud of dust - VERY effective) transitions.

I think the OP means something like a new 12 release not a point upgrade.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
The one aspect of ML that sounds interesting is the Documents in the Cloud feature and that would need some sort of update to the iWork family. I would certainly wait a little longer to see if they do update Keynote in concert with the new OS....

cmdrmac

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
IA, USA
My money is on a new version of iWork to complement the release of Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion is bringing many new features that iWork can leverage to really shine.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Interesting. Thanks all. I'll hold out till ML and then buy it. I'm sure Apple can give me a free upgrade if I buy it within 30 days or so of it's update.

If not, it's still a great app from what I remember.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I'm thinking about switching over from Powerpoint to Keynote. I used the older versions of Keynote years ago and remember them being quite elegant compared to Powerpoint.

However, it seems that the currently version of Keynote has been out for a while. Do you think I should wait to update? (That is, if there is even a chance of them updating)

Yesterday I ordered MS Office after 4 or 5 years using iWork. I think, like iWeb, they'll suddenly just drop all support which will leave me high and dry. Plus the endless silence with regards to upgrades is highly frustrating.

At least with Office you know its compatible, will be upgraded and won't suddenly become obselete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.