Will larger 12.9" iPad Pro smart keyboard work with smaller 9.7" iPad Pro.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macintosh1985, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Macintosh1985 macrumors newbie

I still own an iPad Pro smart keyboard from the 12.9 IPP that I returned last year. I'm now thinking that instead of buying the outdated 12.9" model again, I should just buy the cheaper 9.7" Pro while I wait for the new 12.9" model early next year. I was wondering if the larger smart keyboard would be able to connect to the smaller iPad Pro, just to be used whilst typing, has anyone tried this to see if it works? Thank you.

2. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I believe I read on Twitter (it was one of the Apple bloggers, can't remember which one) that said the 12.9 Keyboard does work, as its just the smart connector as the designator as opposed to going through a hardware check through the software. So, it should work. However, that should be confirmed by Apple themselves by Support or Retail Store.

3. Macintosh1985 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, do you think if I ask them while buying the new iPad Pro in the store, they'll let me swap it for the smaller one?

4. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Well, I believe their return policy is either 14 or 30 days from date of purchase depending on the US state, so if it's past that window, they may not allow you to return it. Again, check with your local Retail Store for that. You could possibly ask to speak with the manager about it as well. Make sure to stay cordial and calm, though, and it may work in your favor. If anything, Genius staff should have information on whether the 12.9 Keyboard will work with the 9.7.