Will Leopard be buggy? (based on past History?)

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
1,692
57
Okay, I know that nobody really knows if Leopard will be buggy or not... but based on past releases of Mac OSs, what do you guys think?

And (also based on past history) how long do you think it will be before Leopard runs smoothly, without any bugs?
 

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
2,474
7
My general impression is that big releases like this are quite good without too many bugs for the average user. And, Apple usually addresses any larger issues quickly. And I think this is even more the case now that Os X has matured.
 

inf

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2006
275
1
Helsinki, Finland
Every new os will have it flaws, so will Leopard. Of course Apple has been pretty quick fixing the biggest issues in new releases.

Tiger was buggy, so I'm very sure that Leopard will have its own bugs right from the beginning, but still...gonna order it the same day they release it anyway :D
 

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
1,692
57
Tiger was buggy, so I'm very sure that Leopard will have its own bugs right from the beginning, but still...gonna order it the same day they release it anyway :D
Well, for me, I'm trying to decide on buying a MBP now -- or waiting for Leopard, then buying a MBP.

I'm not a student, so I'd have to pay $129 for Leopard plus $79 for iLife if that gets updated.

Part of me wants to buy now, since I know that Tiger is stable. Another part of me wants to wait until after Leopard is released, save the money, know that Leopard is more stable, and not have to upgrade anything.
 

MacPossum

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
280
0
I upgraded three computers (two PowerBook G4's and one G5 Tower) with Tiger the day it came out. I had no problems what so ever... so based on my 'past history' I'd say it will be fine.
 

zabbadu

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
21
0
Same here.

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to purchase an MBP now, but know that when Leopard comes out, I'll have to buy it for that plus the desktop I have at home. It would be nice to have it bundled with the MBP.

I'll probably be buying from macMall.com, which should save a couple bucks. Actually, since I'm loading it with the 4GB RAM through them, the savings will be ~$900! [No sales tax, and ~$320 vs Apple's $750 for the RAM.]

The other thing that keeps me holding out is that I keep wondering if they'll do another release of the MBP right after I buy it. That's always annoying. Around October will be about 4 months from the latest release of June. Historically, they update products every 6 months or so.

Oh decisions!
 

sndcj1

macrumors member
May 22, 2007
89
1
Chicago
Define "Buggy"

My past history with 10.X upgrades has been very good. Yes, there were bugs fixed, security issues patched, other performance issues addressed, but none of them affected me. As someone already said, there will be bugs, but you run a pretty good chance that "performance issue in intel macs running 10.5 streaming itunes through remote computer library running 10.4" or some such problem won't affect your day to day computing experience. As a suggestion, I would say waiting will be fine if this is just a "day to day" home/some work computer (and it would save you$). If this is a mission critical machine, buy now. All current software applications have been through any growing pains of 10.4, and are potentially more stable than they will be on 10.5.
 

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
3,389
14
Florida
I'll probably be buying from macMall.com, which should save a couple bucks. Actually, since I'm loading it with the 4GB RAM through them, the savings will be ~$900! [No sales tax, and ~$320 vs Apple's $750 for the RAM.]

The other thing that keeps me holding out is that I keep wondering if they'll do another release of the MBP right after I buy it.

Oh decisions!
you can buy the ram for half that from frys or newegg

they always "might" be doing another update, but the last one was in june, so its only been a lil over a month, buy now
 

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
1,692
57
they always "might" be doing another update, but the last one was in june, so its only been a lil over a month, buy now
That's true about the hardware, but if a non-student (like me) buys now we'll have to pay $129 for Leopard (plus $79 for iLife if it gets updated).

If it were a 2 1/2 week wait the choice would be easy. I'd wait. But since it's a 2 1/2 month wait, the choice is harder.
 

dannewell15

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
203
0
I think that afer leopard comes out, I will wait about a month just in case it is a bit buggy. But to be honest I don't really know if it will be b/c I have only recently switched to mac and have only had 10.4.9. and now 10.4.10.
 

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
7,849
36
That's true about the hardware, but if a non-student (like me) buys now we'll have to pay $129 for Leopard (plus $79 for iLife if it gets updated).

If it were a 2 1/2 week wait the choice would be easy. I'd wait. But since it's a 2 1/2 month wait, the choice is harder.
I have one important question for you: do you need it? If your current computer is working fine, then don't buy now. If you think you can make it until late October (most likeley there should be new macbook pros by late October or early November), you can get an updated computer with a brand new OS and iLife. This is the best bang for your buck, and that is important.
 

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
1,692
57
I have one important question for you: do you need it?
Need? No.

Want? Yes. ;)

If your current computer is working fine, then don't buy now. If you think you can make it until late October (most likeley there should be new macbook pros by late October or early November), you can get an updated computer with a brand new OS and iLife. This is the best bang for your buck, and that is important.
Yeah, I know. :)
 

zabbadu

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
21
0
Yep..

you can buy the ram for half that from frys or newegg

they always "might" be doing another update, but the last one was in june, so its only been a lil over a month, buy now
Since I'd be waiting 'til at least October, it would be more than the 1 month since update. And, since I'm also anticipating possible model update [as CalBoy mentions below] around October or November, it does make sense to wait if I want the latest & greatest [and really, who doesn't?]

I have one important question for you: do you need it? If your current computer is working fine, then don't buy now. If you think you can make it until late October (most likeley there should be new macbook pros by late October or early November), you can get an updated computer with a brand new OS and iLife. This is the best bang for your buck, and that is important.
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,718
1,200
New Zealand
I plan to wait for 10.5.1 but it remains to be seen whether I actually do :)

Tiger had its share of bugs at release (including one that is still present in 10.4.10 and apparently also in the WWDC Leopard beta) so I'm going to try to wait for a while.
 

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
6,627
342
Tiger had its share of bugs at release (including one that is still present in 10.4.10 and apparently also in the WWDC Leopard beta) so I'm going to try to wait for a while.
I'm just curious: can you describe this bug? If it's still in Leopard, maybe it's graduated to "feature" status. :)
 

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
6,311
18
the OC
aside from mac os x v.10.0, i think every initial point release has been useable. it seemed as though tiger had more bugs in it than panther, but it still operated fine enough, and i'm hoping leopard will be the same. i don't think i'll wait for 10.5.1.
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,718
1,200
New Zealand
I'm just curious: can you describe this bug? If it's still in Leopard, maybe it's graduated to "feature" status. :)
In Jaguar and Panther (and probably earlier versions of OS X, plus at least OS 8 and 9), Sys Prefs > International > Formats had three Customise buttons: One for dates, one for times and one for numbers. In Tiger the Numbers one disappeared so you can't change the way numbers are formatted. This is especially annoying since the default settings for NZ are wrong*.

It is still possible to change it by either upgrading from Panther or by editing .GlobalPreferences.plist.

*I tried reporting THAT as a bug and Apple told me that it's not their problem :confused:
 

netwalker

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
209
209
Okay, I know that nobody really knows if Leopard will be buggy or not... but based on past releases of Mac OSs, what do you guys think?
Based on any major software release, we know that the first release tends to have a higher bug rate. Some of those bugs won't effect you, so you might be happy with the first release, but if it is critical for you to have a stable and reliable computer system, then wait a bit.

My experience with Tiger was positive on the OS side but negative regarding 3rd party software, not being ready for Tiger on time. I think this will be the bigger concern for Leopard. How compatible is it with Tiger and how long will it take for other software manufacturers to be Leopard ready?

I tested a few apps with Leopard and most of them worked well but since Leopard is far from being final, it is too early to draw any conclusions.
 

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
1,692
57
My experience with Tiger was positive on the OS side but negative regarding 3rd party software, not being ready for Tiger on time. I think this will be the bigger concern for Leopard. How compatible is it with Tiger and how long will it take for other software manufacturers to be Leopard ready?
Great point... I never thought of that. Will the routers all work with Leopard? How about the external hard drives, etc.

Definitely something to think about. Thanks.
 

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
529
0
Great point... I never thought of that. Will the routers all work with Leopard? How about the external hard drives, etc.

Definitely something to think about. Thanks.
All routers should work fine...Apple would be dumb not to check compatability with many routers before a final release candidate. Also, external hard drives should work, assuming Leopard has good USB drivers. (They probably won't have to rewrite any of them because most of the core OS is the same.)