Will leopard be difficult to install?

kmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be purchasing a macbook pro. If I buy now and then buy leopard when its released, will it be difficult to install? Is it worth waiting for leopard to be released and pre installed?

Will the leopard upgrade disk be able to do a clean install of leopard without upgrading from tiger?

Are there performance benefits of doing a clean install rather than a tiger upgrade?

Thanks,
Kevin

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be purchasing a macbook pro. If I buy now and then buy leopard when its released, will it be difficult to install? Is it worth waiting for leopard to be released and pre installed?

Will the leopard upgrade disk be able to do a clean install of leopard without upgrading from tiger?

Are there performance benefits of doing a clean install rather than a tiger upgrade?

Thanks,
Kevin
It will be very easy to install - shove the DVD in, click through. Waiting saves you the money that Leopard costs.. thats about it.

It will be able to do a clean install, yes. Lots of people like doing a clean install to clear out the system, and make it all new and fresh again when there is a new OS out.. and as it cleans the whole system to new again, I guess there probably will be performance benefits. But Leopard should work very well when installed as an upgrade to Tiger - a clean install is certainly not definitely needed.

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be purchasing a macbook pro. If I buy now and then buy leopard when its released, will it be difficult to install? Is it worth waiting for leopard to be released and pre installed? If you need now, buy now. Leopard will be a breeze to install whether or not you but it now or when Leopard is released. Don't worry about upgrading though. Leopard = $129

Will the leopard upgrade disk be able to do a clean install of leopard without upgrading from tiger? Yes, you can archive and upgrade or do a clean install.

Are there performance benefits of doing a clean install rather than a tiger upgrade? Compatibility issues maybe. I'll let someone else elaborate here

Thanks,
Kevin
;)

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Installing previous versions of OS X has been a very simple process, and I see no reason why Leopard would be any different. Just pop your install disk in, click through a few buttons and you're set.

The disk will give you the option of a clean install or just upgrading your OS, so all your files and settings stay intact. With a relatively new machine as you'll have, I don't really think you're going to see any fantastic benefits from doing a complete clean install – just upgrading from Tiger should do you fine.

kmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
Thanks for the responses. I got my first mac last year so I haven't been through an OS upgrade, yet. I'm going to go ahead and be getting the MBP this week! Also, I'm a student so hopefully the $69 or $79 student priced version of leopard talked about in other threads will be available.

DeanCorp

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
Leopard is very very easy to install simply put in the disk and it will do its thing :) The big advantage of Leopard is the installation time is significantly reduced, when I re-installed Tiger, I couldn't believe how much faster Leopard actually was.

DeanCorp

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Leopard is very very easy to install simply put in the disk and it will do its thing :) The big advantage of Leopard is the installation time is significantly reduced, when I re-installed Tiger, I couldn't believe how much faster Leopard actually was.

DeanCorp
Could this have been because you were on a beta?

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
If one wants to do a clean install, what would be the suggested way to backup all the docs, photos, 3rd party apps, etc. beforehand?

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Yes, I know... I've only done it with windows and found it to be a complete nightmare. I'll search around on the net for this.