Will Leopard cause shipping delays?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DarkHeraldMage, Oct 5, 2007.

1. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Afternoon all!

Been a long-time reader of the forums, but never posted myself. Figured now's as good a time as ever since my official "switching" date is fast approaching with Leopard almost visible on the horizon.

I've been delaying the switch for a long time now simply because I didn't want to get used to Tiger and then have to adjust to the new OS shortly thereafter, but with Leopard close I'm starting to plan it all out. What I'm worried about is shipping. I remember reading countless threads about the new iMacs and when the MBPs were upgraded to SR, and there was lots of ranting about extremely long shipping delays. Anyone expect something similar when they start loading all the computers with OS 10.5 before shipping?

I'm afraid that when I finally commit to buying I'll still be looking at weeks of waiting and won't have the option of having it shipped faster. Was this the case with Tiger? Any advice would be much appreciated. Looking forward to future interaction here with you all!

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

is there no Apple Store in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area?

3. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

There is an Apple store, but I plan on getting the hi-def matte screen with upgraded hard drive. I wasn't sure they would have the ability to customize in that way on site. Plus, I'd heard that when you buy in store so soon after an OS release that all they do is give you a Mac with the previous OS on it and drop in the install DVD for the new one - that's what I'm looking to avoid in the first place.

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

If I was in your situation, I'd call or go to the store, tell them what's up, and have them get one built to your specs and sent to the store. When Leopard arrives, your computer will already be there, before you get in the car to go pick it up, call in and have the geniuses load leopard. When you get to the store, everything will be good to go and you'll be assured that your MBP has no problems.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I don't think your idea will work. A friend of mine tried to have a built-to-order macbook sent to his local apple store so that he could pick it up there, but they wouldn't let him do that. They would help place the order but they wouldn't take delivery and hold it for him.

When Tiger came out, at first they put the Tiger disks inside the box with the computers that had already had Panther installed so there wasn't a slow down in the supply chain

6. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

There are folks who have been waiting for the release of Leopard to purchase a new system just to save a few bucks. (Never understood this).

You are purchasing a CTO system so if Leopard has been released there is a good chance that it will have been loaded on to your system.

The risk you have is if Apple is still experiencing component shortages and then a wave of new orders come in due to the release of Leopard.

You will need to order from the Apple online store to get your CTO system.

You really should have just bought it with Tiger to get a feel of the overall "experience" of using a Mac and Mac OS. You would be a happy camper.:apple:

7. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Will Leopard cause a shipping delay? Not when you get Leopard pre-installed on a new MacPro. :)