Will leopard have a new look?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by foxxlet, Oct 10, 2007.

1. foxxlet macrumors newbie

So it seems that leopard looks almost exactly the same as tiger as far as the overall theme and feel goes? Or is that just the preview releases and perhaps they'll wow us with a shiny new look for the full version?

I love the mac but the OS is in serious need of some graphical updating I think.

Time machine looks graphically interesting and when I saw it i was hoping the whole OS would get a new look but all the preview pics look almost exactly like tiger, just a few icons changed and one or two new effects.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

no it's not going to change from what it is now. are you sure you were looking at the most recent pics?

it's not going to be totally different from Tiger, but it's clearly different though

3. pmaw030180 macrumors newbie

evidently the new OS is not changing much. I think the only noticeable difference is the 3d dock and the new transparent menu bar at the top. This is why the entire mac world was in utter disgust as we were expecting an entirely new revamp similar to the revamp that xp made when introducing vista. Surely these graphical changes could have been made far more easily than conning the mac world into paying £80 for a new OS. Apple sure will be losing lots of customers due to this as they have evidently been paying too much attention to the new ipods and iphone. I for one will NOT be buying this new OS.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Then you for one will be left in the dust as every buying Leopard will be able to take advantage of countless under he hood changes that will make developing for Leopard faster and easier than almost any other OS.

5. pmaw030180 macrumors newbie

rubbish - it is a well known fact that Leopard only has minor cosmetic changes and the introduction of Time Machine. This was well known to the community when Apple revealed they had ditched the ZFS plans.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Can you please point out your sources for this "well known fact"?

-Kevin

7. jhande macrumors 6502

At the risk of perhaps responding to an intended troll: Do you really find that the UNIX 3 certification is 'minor'? Really? The ability to compile from source directly from OS X.V to AIX, Solaris and HP-UX as trivial. Hm... Oh well, I guess that's why everyone else has done it........ Not.

Oh, and wrt to ZFS, what they are doing is non-trivial. Try it sometime. Read some of the discussions going on on the ReiserFS mailing-lists, and see what the technical difficulties were/are (Hans' own predicament notwithstanding).

My .02

8. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I'm slightly disappointed that there isn't a new look. When Leopard was first announced there were several "what would you like to see in Leopard" threads and a new look was frequently mentioned. There's more to the OS than this though.

One thing that surprises me though is that the Aqua scroll bars are still with us at the mo (and I've read a few threads with people talking about them today). But didn't they say Leopard would have a "unified look"? If so - how does that hold with the iTunes 7 scroll bars for example?

9. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

There is only so much that can be done with a menu bar and dock in terms of cosmetics. Both look substantially different to me in Leopard. I'm curios as to what you expected. Overall, I see overwhelming change in the look of Leopard.

10. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Whats wrong with the old look?

Pretty much the only change from XP to Vista is the look. Thats why the adoption rate is dismal.

I'm getting Leopard for Spaces, Time Machine, and XCode 3. The fancy 3d dock and new screensavers aren't even a point of consideration for me.

11. Blacky macrumors member

"well known fact" ...

Sure, if you call making all the apps multithreaded and 64bit minor? hey, it's not like people have dual cores these days that can benefit from this?

UI changes ... well core animation is a pure UI focusses framework, animations can make things seem more alive spring loaded folders, non linear animations add a more real feel to your os, if you expose it accelerates and and slows down in a shorter time span. Off course nothing that you couldn't do before is now possible but it has become easier.

frontrow also had a serious ui overhaul.

All the major frameworks and libraries os x carries have been updated, apache, php, java, ror included, etc.

Calling leopard a minor upgrade is just nonsense, sure they could have changed more, added zfs, but that's a major major change, you can't include a filesystem and then have all mac users losing files/data this is something that needs a lot of testing, sure sun has already done loads of testing, but still, I understand apple on this one. Resolution independence, I dont know anyone if this will be definitly in there, or definitly not ... we will just have to wait and see, but would it be usefull in the next 2-3 years? as it looks now lcd panels all still seem too low res too really need resolution independence.

Calling this a minor upgrade is an insult to the leopard developers imho.

I'm going to install this on day one, has to be more stable than a windows release at day one :D

12. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Resolution independence is an interesting one. It seems a little bit "chicken and the egg to me" as there's no point in it until we get very hi-res panels, but will there be demand for them until Res independence is introduced?

13. jockmock macrumors regular

ZFS isn't ditched, Apple has said that it will be released together with a patch

14. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

I agree. There may only be subtle changes but I think OS X is finally "polished" and much more elegant – it definitely suits Apple's style. And WOW i didnt know about UNIX 3 cert. – Good Job Apple!:D

15. Alloye macrumors 6502a

Exactly! Leopard is a big step forward for developers, which I believe will lead to some great new applications:
    • 64-bit Frameworks
    • Xcode 3.0 (Major Update)
    • Interface Builder 3.0 (Complete Rewrite)
    • Objective-C 2.0
    • Garbage Collection in Cocoa
    • DTrace/Xray
    • Dashcode
    • CoreAnimation
    • ImageKit
    • OpenGL 2.1
    • Apple Scripting Bridge
    • Official PyObjC Support
    • Official RubyCocoa Support
    • Official Ruby on Rails Support
    • UNIX '03 Certification
    So Leopard = Tiger + Time Machine. Right. :rolleyes:
    • Time Machine
    • Spaces
    • Boot Camp
    • Quick Look
    • Stacks
    • Improved Finder
    • Improved Networking
    • Improved Spotlight
    • Improved Quicktime
    • Improved Mail
    • Improved Preview
    • Improved iChat
    • Improved iCal
    • Improved DVD Player
    • Improved Dictionary
    • Better Parental Controls
    • Better Security
    • Better SMP Support
    • Better Performance
    • Unified UI
    And that's just surface stuff off the top of my head. The list of subtle improvements throughout the system is quite extensive.

16. Stadsport macrumors regular

The look is a dark unified "plastic" look. New menubar and dock, new icons, new traffic lights, new views, rearranged (appropriately) Finder settings, new Finder settings (like icon spacing, thank god), and a revamped Finder (sidebar etc).

17. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

As a patch for Leopard? That's cool if so

18. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

whoever started this thread obviously hasn't seen any other OS X aside from tiger:rolleyes:

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

it's still a bigger change from Tiger to Leopard, compared to Panther to Tiger.

20. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I'm glad they aren't changing the look too much. I think the current GUI is simple, easy to use, and straight forward. I don't want them to go making it look tacky like Vista. I think the only appropriate place for a major UI overhaul will be in OS 11 (whenever that makes an appearance). I think the OS X UI should remain mostly consistent throughout its lifecycle.

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'm crossing my fingers for new scrollbars and other Aqua UI bits and pieces...

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i still don't get the big deal with scroll bars.....

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

They are on A LOT of windows, especially on a small screen like my Macbook. The aqua ones look really strange to me together with the darker, beautiful UI...

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i will agree that it would be nice to change it.....but i don't think it's that big of a deal