Will Leopard have flaws?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blw679, Sep 28, 2007.

1. blw679 macrumors newbie

So I am totally new to Macs but will Leopard have flaws on it's first version, enough to where I should wait to get an updated version? Do they do this? How long dos it typically take after the first version comes out?
    I'm confused.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

All software has flaws.

As to whether you should get it when it first comes out or not that is down to you. Personally I'll be ordering it the day it is released.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The first update will probably occur about 6 weeks from the initial release of Leopard. Generally, though, Apple haven't done something so horribly wrong that the machine doesn't work using the x.0.0 release. I'm going to be extra conservative this time, having been bitten with Tiger at 10.4.1, and wait until 10.5.3.

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Leopard will just be an extension to the ongoing development of OSX. It's been going on for 6 years now. There are always bugs and refinements, and always people who feel it is flawed compared to what they want it to be. Updates and fixes are released as they are developed and are downloadable via Software Update. Some will install Leopard immediately, some will wait a few weeks, others may decide not to move to Leopard at all. It is up to you.

5. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

The forums will be filled with bug reports, but that doesn't mean it's unusable, and many people will probably run it problem-free. However, I'll probably wait until at least the first update.

6. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Absolutely not! Leopard will have no flaws. You heard it here first, kids.

7. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

So angry.

Compared to Vista, Leopard will be a walk in the park, and while I am not psychic I am willing to bet on it.

Leopard will be a few months late, Vista was only a name change and 4 years late.... so I guess that's not much to compare it to.

Anyway, ofcourse there will be flaws, but as is the life of computers. Ignore Mr. Angry up there. Apple has issues, but not much worse, if at all, compared to the majority of computer companies, or software companies. I personally have never had a problem with an OSX operating system that warrented it really even being called a flaw. Safari is AOK for me. so I dunno.

Either way, it is up to you, but Leopard should be fine, and if there are flaws they will update them in software update quickly and efficiently (if past pretense means anything)

If you are asking becasue like you said you are new to mac, you are probably used to windows, and I don't think there is anything apple could do to OSX to make it that horrendous.

enjoy!

8. Quiara macrumors regular

Quiara

I'm going to the release party (if they have another one) with my uber-geeky, early-adopter friends, but personally I'm waiting till 10.5.2 at least. I may BUY it before then, but I'm not installing it on my precious until an update or two.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

OP, the short answer to your question is, "yes."

All new software needs a "shakedown cruise" of sorts. Have patience and load Leopard onto your computer after six or eight weeks. By then, the major defects would have been taken care of.

Otherwise, don't sweat it and simply enjoy your Mac.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm using it now on my other Mac, and it's fine.

11. Roads0 macrumors newbie

Roads0

You are such a BAMF...

12. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

O RLY? :D

Hopefully I'll be picking up some new hardware to get my Leopard fix - depends a lot on whether or not the MacBooks are updated before Xmas though.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm the noise Nightcrawler makes when he teleports? :confused:

:p

14. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Sure as it has spots, there will be assorted flaws. For the majority of users, they will be invisible and of no consequence.