Will Leopard install wipe old data?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zub3qin, Jul 13, 2007.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

My spotlight doesn't work. Plain and simple. Won't update.

I am holding out for Leopard.
    When I install a new OS, what exactly happens? Is all your data, files, preferences, email all maintained? Or do you do a clean install and then restore all your data from some sort of backup system?
    Will a new OS install fix the spotlight issues?

Thanks!

2. Jestered macrumors 6502

There are different ways to do it. You can just update the OS, which will keep all your data and info intact, or you can erase.... and reinstall. Moving to a new OS does not mean you have to lose everything. I would suggest having a backup before doing any major OS/software install.

3. keenkreations macrumors regular

Hmm...had a similar once before. You can always re-install your OS from the recovery disks. Do an install and archive when you do. Should restore your Spotlight. However, a lot of other forum members would disagree with me, but that is an option if you would like to take it.

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

While this topic is up, will Apple make an upgrade set instead of a full install set so that us Tiger users dont have to pay the $130 for the full install?;)

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

no .. if you want leopard you'll pay $129.99 US price unless it's pre-installed on the Mac ..

More info Here :p

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Thank you!:)