Will Leopard Read NTFS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by acfusion29, Dec 25, 2007.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Alright, I got a sick new 500GB External HDD, and I have A LOT of files that are way over 4GB, and of course... the harddrive comes pre-formatted with FAT32...

If I format it to NTFS using my Windows machine, will my Mac read it? Will my Mac allow me to add content onto the harddrive still?

I have a lot of important files that I don't wanna risk losing on my PC, but then again I'd like to backup some of my stuff on my Mac.

Any help would be appreciated :D :apple:

2. nigrunze macrumors regular

Leopard can read NTFS but can't write to it. There are ways to do that though which you can very likely find out about by searching the forums.

3. Bernard Bernoul macrumors newbie

Bernard Bernoul

I'm not sure entirely what you mean but I know that I have a Windows box that I use as a file server and I can read/write to all the disks on that machine which are NTFS formatted. If you're asking for more specifics (time machine backups/restoration, etc.) I really couldn't say but for basic read/write functionality I haven't had any issues so far.

4. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Yeah, I should change the title.

I know it reads, but I can't write to it.

I will do a search :)

5. Bernard Bernoul macrumors newbie

Bernard Bernoul

That's really strange. I'm a mac newbie (just got my mbp less than a month ago) but I swear that I download a movie file or something then transfer it from the MBP to a shared folder on my Windows box. I don't know if I'm just hallucinating or what but the file is there and works.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It can read, but not write. You can use third party software to write, but MS haven't released the specifications for NTFS so I don't know how reliable it is...

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Free solution:

- MacFUSE
    - NTFS-3G

at http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?arch=all&keywords=ntfs&os=macosx

I would test it on a test system/drive first.

MacUpdate user "pen_sq" mentioned this might be slow, and provided an idea:
    "How about using Parallels/VMWare to attach a USB drive to a virtual
    windows, and then drag files between MacFinder and MS-Explorer? That
    should give reasonably fast access."

There is a paid solution too (NTFS for Mac OS X, demo available), but some said that it's similar to the free solution.

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I found it easier to force Windows to use the Mac formatted disks with Mac Drive than to enable a Mac to use NTFS which seems more uncommon.

Another solution is transfer files using VMWare/Paralles/Boot Camp connected to a NTFS drive.

9. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

^^ Another +1 for MacDrive. It allows Windows to see your HFS+ (Mac) disks and read/write to them with no problems. Heck, I installed Supreme Commander to my HFS+ partition from windows and it runs just fine.

MacFUSE is slow (that is, the write speed to the NTFS partition is slow). The developer himself acknowledges this and explains why. NTFS for Mac OS X, made by Paragon, is much faster. Not free, but it works perfectly.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

That'd work, if you used a network to copy the file from your MBP to your Windows shared folder. :)

11. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

OS X can read and WRITE to a Shared NTFS drive. If just can't natively write to NTFS.

So all you have to do is use a Windows machine to share out the drive/folder and you can read/write to it.

-Kevin

12. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

It can write to NTFS drives over a network but not to one directly connected to the mac.

13. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

huh? why should that make a difference?

14. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

because when it is connected over the network it is using Samba networking protocols to interact with the drive, and thus the formatting of the drive is irrelevant

15. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Its not writing directly to the drive, its actually requesting using SMB which is file system agnostic. So its safe to say that OS X can only READ natively from NTFS file systems.

16. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i use MacDrive and NTFS for Mac OS X 6.0. both excellent programs i highly recommend them. but they are not opensource.

MacDrive - read/write to HFS+
    NTFS for OS X - read/write to NTFS

macdrive alows me to listen to my itune library on my OS X disk which is very useful and i open a lot of documents for uni while using office in boot camp.
    NTFS for OS X allows me to download windows apps and drivers in OS X and then drag them to my boot camp partition.

17. writeous macrumors regular

Spotlight (search) in Leopard CAN NOT read nfts files at all unlike Tiger, nobody seems to notice it though.

18. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

macfuse and the new stable release of the ntfs3g drivers are great.
    now your ntfs drives are automounted via ntfs3g.
    you should def. check it out.

there is another software called paragon ntfs for mac which is shareware

19. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

this is one of the new spotlight features i actually like. in tiger i used to use a script to unmount my boot camp partition as a login item so no useless win crap showed up in the spotlight window.