Will Leopard run on MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tim117, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Tim117 macrumors regular

I've searched all 9 corners of the internet trying to find this very answer. And failed to answer.

Please tell me strait up, will Mac OS X Leopard run on a Core 2 Duo MacBook?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Absolutely...no question about it. It runs just fine on machine much older and slower than that.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm running it right now on my Black C2D Macbook;)

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It will run Leopard with no difficulties whatsoever – all MacBooks easily meet the minimum system requirements.

The only thing I'd say is that it might be advisable to boost the RAM, Leopard lists 512MB as the minimum but having more is never a bad thing.

5. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

No, I'm afraid you'll have to buy a new computer. Given your dilemma, and my extreme kindness, I'll offer to take your laptop off of your hands. How does $50.00 sound?

6. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

You clearly didn't search very well.

If you'd looked at the Leopard system requirements:
    Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (867 MHz or faster) or G5 processor

7. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

8. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

It will run on any G5- or Intel-based Mac, and some G4-based Macs (867 MHz and up). And there will likely be a hack to allow it to run (albeit poorly) on G3-based Macs as well (probably not worth the effort). Basically, if you bought a Mac in the last 4 years, Leopard will likely run on it (try THAT with Vista).

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Whatever made you doubt that Leopard would install on Macs that are still shipping with that CPU when it is launched? :confused:

The only doubt about Leopard's supported hardware is the G4 issue. 867 MHz is minimal or not?

Anything newer (G5s, ALL Intels...) logically will be supported.

10. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

OMG..YOU MEAN MY C2D MacBook AND iMac CAN'T RUN LEOPARD :( :( :(

i thought 1GB RAM would be enough :( :( :(

11. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Now, let's see…

First you have to deterimine your Mac OS X Experience Index™.

You can do this by downloading a tool on Apple's website. This checks things like your processor, RAM, HD etc, and assigns each a Sub Score. You then have a Base Score, which is determined from the lowest Sub Score.

Once that is complete, you need to decide which version of Leopard you are going to buy. The Home version does without some graphical extras like the Transparent Menu Bar and 3D Dock. On the other hand it may run faster on slower machines than the Ultimate Edition.

Then you have to decide 32 or 64 bit. Even though your MacBook could theoretically run the 64 bit version, you'll probably want to stick with the 32 bit version because there aren't any drivers available for any of your peripherals for the 64 bit version.

The good news is that installation is a snap. You just need to remember to activate in 30 days and authenticate your software the the Macintosh Genuine Advantage™ scheme.

You may also wish to protect your Mac with .Mac personal-injury anti-terroism one care for a small annual fee.

What could be easier!

Seriously Tim, you'll be absolutely fine!

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

HA! epic

13. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

now if only there was some other software company out there with the foresight to make an operating system that all computers for the last 4 years could run.........

14. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

try 10 years, my 1999 Sawtooth is ready for Leopard (after a processor switch and video card switch :D)

15. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Do you really think it wouldn't run on a current model??

16. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i said ALL computers (admittedly, RAM would have to be upgraded on some)...but that is quite an acheivement to have leopard running on an 8-9 year old machine

well he did buy it 6 months ago...even so...i think he's heard too much about vista ^^

17. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

sorry, didn't read closely enough. But yeah, I'm hoping the old grey mare will last until X.6

18. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

19. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

nothing spectacular, dual 1.3 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 128 Mb vRAM, about 500 GB of drive space. PCI FW expansion.

Runs Tiger fairly snappy, if Leopard is as smooth, I'll be very happy.

20. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Well for people that have just moved from the world of Windows, it's probably not such a strange question - they are used to buying a new computer every time they want the new OS, and a good number of computers built six months before Vista are too underpowered to run it. So I think there will be more and more questions like this as time goes on.

21. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

wow...i'm not too familiar with macs of old...but was that like a top spec powermac originally?

it's still a pretty good comp...you should be proud:p

22. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

denifitely love it, but not as much as my 350 MHz G3 B&W or original Ti and iBooks

original specs on my Sawtooth were 500 MHz, 128 MB RAM, 12 GB HD, OS 9.1.

When it was released though, but gov't definition it was classified as a supercomputer. Classified as munitions and under export restriction because of it's power

23. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

hahahahahahaha...omg

does the top line MacPro count as that today?

so USA were so afriad that foreigners could calculate warhead trajectorys accurately? or that it could outpower the pentagon?

still one awesome machine...it's like tha grandpa of macpro's...but can still probably outpower a mac mini

max respect FJ218700

24. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

perhaps more like the older brother, and sadly, I don't think it's on par with the mini. Graphics, maybe, processor no.

I'm worried the logic board might go any day, but you never know . . .

25. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack